• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mustang Viper Stripes

heyskull

I know this is normally not allowed!!!!
But I have a guy with a 1966 Mustang Fastback requesting viper stripes to the bonnet, roof & Boot (Trunk).
Due to being in the UK and their not being many mustangs around our outlines don't show such a vehicle.
Also I need to know what would be the best material, placement and sizes as this guy will not let it out in the open air and will not leave it out of his site for 2 minutes!!!!

Thanks in advance.

SC

OldPaint

#1. it is a 1966 mustang!!!!!!!!
#2, in 1966 THEY DIDNT HAVE VINYL !!!!!!!!!
#3. the owner should know..............that if he plans to show the car, as it is a classic.......PUTTING VINYL ON IT WILL NOT BE "PERIOD CORRECT." And if the stripes are vinyl....the judges DEDUCT POINTS for it.
#4. to do this the RIGHT WAY........ take it to a body shop and have the stripe painted......AS IT WAS FROM THE FACTORY!!!!!!

Attachments

• 1966-mustang-005.jpg
    1966-mustang-005.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 175

Ghost Prophet

#1. it is a 1966 mustang!!!!!!!!
#2, in 1966 THEY DIDNT HAVE VINYL !!!!!!!!!
#3. the owner should know..............that if he plans to show the car, as it is a classic.......PUTTING VINYL ON IT WILL NOT BE "PERIOD CORRECT." And if the stripes are vinyl....the judges DEDUCT POINTS for it.
#4. to do this the RIGHT WAY........ take it to a body shop and have the stripe painted......AS IT WAS FROM THE FACTORY!!!!!!

While I see your point (wow that's a beautiful car), the guy still has to make a living. Turning away customers because they're 'doing it wrong' isn't great for business. Lol

...and in 1966 they did have vinyl. Not adhesive vinyl, but still. :)

heyskull

OK I guess you didn't understand...

And I understand this should be painted on, but what the heck he is paying!
Also I do not have the sizes of the stripe as this fella will not let it out of his site, let alone the rain, and believe me it rains a lot in Cumbria, England.
I would like to know what are the width and spacing of what the stripes should be from the factory?
This has to at least be to the correct size because someone somewhere will always no better.

Thanks
SC

OldPaint

turning away business???? IF THE VINYL GUY was like i am......also an auto body PAINTER........ he still could make MORE MONEY and do the owner of the 66 stang ..........THE RIGHT THING instead of diminishing the value of the car........so he can sell a vinyl job.........
THE PHOTO i put up there is off the internet.........and just FYI a mustang like this with factory stripes is valued in the $20,000.00- $40, 000.00 range..........putting vinyl on it will make worth LESS(((
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/11828710

heyskull

That looks awful!!!
I have attached a couple of pictures of what I thought it would look like as it is a silver car.

All I need to know is the size of these stripes?

SC

Attachments

• Mustang_FB_silver_racer_07.jpg
    Mustang_FB_silver_racer_07.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Mustang_FB_silver_racer_09.jpg
    Mustang_FB_silver_racer_09.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 201

OldPaint

on your silver car..........they look close to 6 INCHES!!! on the one i posted closer to 10 inches. the black and yellow on i posted maybe 12 inches.
how to figure stuff out like this is easy. find something on the car you can use as a ruler.
on your silver car..........how long are the license plates? to me they look like bout 12 inch........with that as a constant............see how that fits your stripes.........

letterman7

That's to make them look the same width as it crosses over the body if you're looking from dead on or behind. The little details like that make the difference.

heyskull

Earlier I gave my customer the price to manufacture and fit these onto his car and he nearly choked!!!!
I am using top quality materials (3M) and will do a stunning job on it.
I'm not to fussed as he is a fussy bugger and is expecting to stand over you whilst I do it!
Which will not be happening.

But I did tell him if he was showing the vehicle these were originally painted on.
So he says " That's an extortionate price I'll take it to my local paint shop and they'll do it loads cheaper....".
Then slammed the phone down!

I guess he is not as friendly with his local paint shops as within 3 hours he was back on the phone wanting to know when he could book it in.
I'm that busy at the moment I gave him a date of 16th January 2016.

SC

OldPaint

the op didnt know(history) ...........those stripes on the early ford (63-65) were call LEMANS STRIPES. which ford stole them from european race cars. they 1st appeared on 64-65 COBRAS. then GT 350 mustangs, later GT 500's. were also standard on the FORD LEMANS GT 40(limited production original) race car....... GM also use them, as did the doge viper when it 1st came out. here is a GT 40 1965))) in this pic you look in the background 65 mustang, with stripes, sitting next to a 67-68 with different stripes.

Attachments

• 65-Ford-GT40-DV_10-Q_04.jpg
    65-Ford-GT40-DV_10-Q_04.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 206