• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 - Any internal color calibration?

David40

When I print out the internal color test sheet on this printer red comes out a perfect orange. I was just curious if this was normal for this printer? Every other printer, where I've printed out it's internal test sheet, prints all it's colors near perfectly. Does this printer have an internal color calibration setting that can be adjusted so that it's at least in color balance with itself? Possibly a bad batch of ink?
Thanks

Matt-Tastic

no. there is no color calibration on the printer. if your nozzle check is clean, print the pallette chart from the test menu, and you'll see various color combinations.

regardless, your RIP handles all the color that comes off your printer. if you can hit a red, you'll use your RIP to find it.

David40

I did excactly the thing you suggest, but red comes out orange, and I don't mean a red that looks a bit orange, it comes out an exact and perfect orange. That's why I think there is something wrong with this printer or I got a bad batch of ink, and that is why I'm having such a hard time getting the RIP to do a good looking Red or CMY shades of grey. I sent a support ticket to Mutoh but have not heard back yet.

OlsonSigns601

What color profile are you using? for your output?

This is what we use on our 1204

Attachments

• FlexiColorProfile.jpg
    FlexiColorProfile.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 589

David40

When you print the test sheet that's built into the printer it uses it's own profile that's part of the firmware. You do this test from the printer menu without even connecting it to a computer or anything. What I am saying is that it won't even print Red on it's own test sheet, it comes out Orange.

That page you uploaded is one of the profile's I have played with, but to get close to a good Red I had to create my own with the Color Mixer using 5/100/80/5 blend that one of the posters recommended, but still it's not the brilliant fire engine red I'd like to see.

Intense01

I have a 1204 also and Red's are very tough. I use a couple different profiles but I can't seem to find one that prints reds nicely. Good luck in your search. Hopefully someone on here can help us figure it out.

OlsonSigns601

Not sure, all I can tell you is I have the same printer, use Mutoh OEM Inks, I use that profile on RA 3651 and my the red that is in my logo prints just as red as it does on just about anything I put in it.

bebiman

Red color match

Hi... I have exactly the same problem... orange instead of red... Did Anybody find some solution about it?

David40

Yes, I learned that you must use a spectrometer system if you can afford it or like I did you must print out a CMYK swatch table for whatever media you are using and regardless of what it looks like on the screen dial in the exact mixture of colors and they will print that way. This way I get exactly the colors I choose. CMYK is quite limited though in it's gamut if you look at a comparison chart. You can see from the chart that CYMK just can not produce colors outside it's gamut. Reds are very tightly limited and that is why photo printers use six different inks instead of four so they can expand the color gamut. Had I known this in advance I would have chosen a different printer with a wider gamut.
You also need to make sure you have the color correction setting correct in the software. For vectors and text I have the color correction turned off.
If you use Flexi do all settings from the Production Manager Jop Properties.
I get some very decent reds using Orajet 3551G Profile and C=0, M=(90 to 100), Y=(80 to 90), K= (0 to 15)
Hope this helps.