• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 fails and error after about a foot of printing.

SeMi57

If this has been discussed before if someone can provide me to that post I would appreciate it. Previously this machine has been a champ. I have been having this problem for a month or so and only on certain prints. These few prints after about 15-inches of printing the machine will 95% of the time make a loud clunk, with error alarms sounds and lights flashing. Error code E016 TLB L/T [02] will show. The other 5% it fails there is no loud clunk, but the rest is the same. Sometimes the print head is far right others it is far left.

Looked different places on the internet and at first all were saying this refers to the mother board. Then found some information about the quality of the power. I spoke to the supplier I purchased the machine from and he stated it is most likely the power. He stated the machine should be connected to a battery backup with no less than 1500 VA rating. The printer was not connected to a battery backup at the time, but it is now with the same results on the same prints. Currently the printer is the only item connected to the battery backup. I thought if might be something in the file and have recreated the projects from scratch in new files with the same result.
I thought it might be file size, but have printed larger files without problems. I thought it might be the print width but it happens on are prints 24-inches wide up to full width. The only noticeable difference I now see is all the prints that fail are at least 98% to 100% (coverage of vinyl area with ink). I have successfully printed other projects with larger file size, same overall area, but will have at least 10% of the vinyl area (by design) not covered with ink. I am using OEM ink.

I am willing to try anything; I need to get these projects out and now may have to farm them out to another shop to print.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There are many Error 16s and they all are main board issues. Your particular one is about data storage but it could mean the processor is failing as well. I would get to the main board and take the memory out. Use compressed air to blow out dust from the memory terminal on the board. Dust off the memory and make sure it is nice and clean then put it back in to see what happens. If it still does the same thing, you will most likely need to change the main board.

Make sure you turn the printer off, unplug it and hit the power button then wait for about 5 minutes before you do anything!

SeMi57

Thank you, it is something to try. I will try it this week end. I will let you know how I make out.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Take a look at the left and right edges (in the print head direction of travel) of your prints that failed.
If you see the print stepping out of alignment leading up to the stop you might have an issue with your encoder strip and or sensor.
The clunking sound could be the carriage running into the back of the maintenance station.
A dirty or damaged encoder strip will cause the print head to misread it's position and eventually stop the print as it gets farther out of alignment.
Clean the strip, if nothing changes clean the sensor.
If this is not the problem you won't be out any money changing parts that do not need to be changed.

wayne k
guam usa

SeMi57

Gac05

I looked at the failed prints and from 6-inches away I can see no stepping (left and right) as you mention. If that was the problem why would other prints work fine?

SeMi57

Memory

I'm a little afraid of pulling out the memory and messing something up on the board. If it is a memory problem why was I able to print a larger file size and 20-feet continuously without errors and flawless. I still feel that it is connected with the file being created in Photoshop.

definitely something is interfering with the y axis, check behind the platen or the capping station turn off printer and manually drag your carriage to feel it, i have encounter that error before and found out that it was caused by faulty old cr ffc long cable, fyi old printers need to be replaced with new cables it help alot. even the head cables. sometimes its not that certain error and solution, you must really diagnose it step by step.