• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 HELP!!! Pretty Please! Anyone!

kyprinter

My 1204 is a little over 5 years old. Bought it new in Jan. `08. Until a couple of months ago, its been a jewel! Little problems started popping up here and there. Most resolved...except the main one now that happened about 3-4 weeks ago. It prints NOTHING!!! I have replaced both print head cables. Replaced the F2 fuse (at the suggestion of Mutoh) and still nothing. If my head was stopped up, would it at least try to print something? It prints not one single drop of ink. Help! Any suggestions appreciated! I'm not anywhere close to GEI so they want to charge me almost $1,000 upfront before they even make the trip. I would like for this to be my last resort.

FatCat

My 1204 is a little over 5 years old. Bought it new in Jan. `08. Until a couple of months ago, its been a jewel! Little problems started popping up here and there. Most resolved...except the main one now that happened about 3-4 weeks ago. It prints NOTHING!!! I have replaced both print head cables. Replaced the F2 fuse (at the suggestion of Mutoh) and still nothing. If my head was stopped up, would it at least try to print something? It prints not one single drop of ink. Help! Any suggestions appreciated! I'm not anywhere close to GEI so they want to charge me almost $1,000 upfront before they even make the trip. I would like for this to be my last resort.

No offense, but you're being way to vague to do anything more but guess here.

OK, so you've replaced the printhead and cables, why? Did it stop printing before and this is why you did that? Or was something else to blame? When you replaced the head, did you make sure the machine was powered off, unplugged and discharged before you started working on it? (As in, there is no chance you shorted something?) Are you certain ink is making it down to the head past the dampers? When you do a cleaning cycle, can you see ink passing through the waste tubes?

*If this is indeed a serious problem like your mainboard has gone out, then are you capable of fixing it yourself?

Again, not trying to be insulting, not sure of you level of experience working on this printer and not really sure what you have/haven't done to solve this problem and what was the original cause. Give us some history, answer the questions above and we'll do our best to help.

letterman7

I'm a half hour from the nearest GEI rep and they still charged $1K to come out. Best money I spent. Be prepared to pony up for any electronics you may need, though. I signed up for their service contract - expensive, but pays for everything.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In my experience the F6 and F7 fuse it what blows and causes the head to not fire. I would check them for continuity and replace if necessary.

lctypesetting

I could help.

I would NOT use GEI!! We have had horrible experiences with them... :/

If the print head IS bad then NO IT WILL NOT FIRE. Are you getting any error codes when going to print? If you are getting no error codes and the machine is 'acting' like it is printing then you definitely need to either service the print head or replace it. a 5 year old print head is pretty phenomenal if you ask me.

On the other hand, you can call me at 800-676-2506 if you would like some advice on your printer. I fix all our equipment in-house and we use Mutoh (VJ-1608HS, Falcon Outdoor, VJ 1304)

I have many SERVICE manuals as well.

It is easy to see if the head is "stopped up". Even though I highly doubt it. Get a syringe and attach it to the 2 hoses that lead to the waste tray. Put the head on the cap and pull softly. You do not want a violent pull, as this could damage head. If the syringe fills up, then there is ink getting through the nozzles. They should print if there is no electrical issues. It could be the fuse,head, cable or main board.

heyskull

Earlier this year our 1604 stopped printing it was just over 5 years old.
It had blown the f2 fuse and after replacing, the image printed but flooded the whole print area with magenta.
We had a tec fit a new head and a new OEM head cable fitted and this sorted it all out.
Their was no guarantee that the motherboard was not fried and we had a new board (on return) to go in if that was the case. Luckily we didn't need it!!
I now reckon 4/5years was the max lifespan you could reasonably get out of a DX5 print head and replacement at 4 years is now going to be the norm whether it needs it or not.

You now have a choice, replace the head and head cable (which needs done anyway at this age) or you may need a motherboard also.
But I would be very shocked if the long carriage cable was the cause.
The head cable fail because of contamination from the print head.

SC

Mr. T

If for some reason you find out you need a main board I have a brand new one for $1,000. It was not the problem with my machine and Mutoh will not take it back.