• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 questions

BAD NOVA

OK I have replaced the maintenance station print head and dampers I did a clean it started to pull ink into capping station, I did a couple clean cycles and nothing. Im confussed!!!!!!!!!!!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you know for sure that the maintenance station pulled ink through the head and you still don't get anything to print, you most likely blew the head fuse on the main board.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The fuse protects the head from voltage surges and that's it. So when it blows it just cuts off the signal to the head and nothing else. It's a whole lot better than frying the $2000+ head.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
So when I pull ink in there should be no air bubbles

Sometimes there will be a little air bubble and that is fine usually but there shouldn't be any large areas in the ink line with no ink. If ink is close to the dampers a hard cleaning should fill the head. Dampers should naturally be about half full so don't expect full dampers.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If I had too much air would it not draw? Would the fuse be blown?

If any ink went through the head in any channel, you should be seeing at least a few nozzles firing. If not, it's most likely the fuse. If you worked on the machine with it plugged in or didn't wait for about 15 minutes after unplugged something that simple could blow the fuse. You can also test that the maintenance station is working properly by docking the head and then pulling with a syringe from the waste lines. You will need a y connector or 2 syringes to pull from both lines at the same time or just bend one line and pull from the other. You should feel immediate resistance when you pull the syringe and you should be able to see the ink move towards the dampers. Once ink flows into the syringe, the head should be able to print. If it still doesn't you can be sure it's the fuse. If you can't get ink to flow that way,something is not lining up with the station.

Also, just on a hunch, make sure the head is parallel with the platen. I have noticed a lot of people who are replacing the head for the dirst time tend not to get it set in the proper position on the first try and so the head will be crooked. Usually the left side is higher than the right side. SO check that out and make sure it's not the case.