• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204 Streaking Issue

dsrgraphics

I've been having and issue with my 4 year old Mutoh ValueJet 1204. It has these small streaks on the right side of the prints in all colors excluding yellow. If I print with the printhead in the raised position there are no streaks but, there is really fine almost like fuzz where the streaks would normally be. I have tried cleaning it on strong several times. It works fine for one print or so and then the issue returns. I have cleaned the wiper and around the cap nothing has worked. I've tried to run the cleaning cartridges with the head wash menu like it says in the manual but when I go thru the options in the setup menu there is not a head wash menu. It has a menu called long store instead. I purchased this printer from SignWarehouse but, my warranty has expired. I attached a photo below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2016041995142050.jpg
    2016041995142050.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 355

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Take a look at the bottom of the print head and clean any ink that is building up around the edges. Ink tends to build up and cause streaks like this.

If everything is nice and clean, I would start by replacing the dampers. Failing dampers can cause ink to drop out when it's not supposed to.

Also, printing in high head height mode on thin vinyl will cause similar issues. Try printing the same file in low head height to see if that helps.

printcleric

Longstore will empty the ink lines and run the cleaning fluid through. Just follow the instructions once you initiate longstore.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That was printed with the printhead on low. Do you have to take the printhead off to clean around it?

No, just clean around the edges and avoid the bottom flat part where the nozzles are. A lot of the time ink builds up in the cracks and crevasse so you may need to use some tweezers to pull some of the gunk out that gets caught between the outside parts of the print head and the carriage.

RG

When I need to give my 1204 head a good cleaning, I remove the spit box. First, the right-side cover has to be removed. Then, the latch (or lock) that holds the carriage over the maintenance station has to be removed. Then, the spit box will come off. That gives you about a 1" open space to work on the area around the head. Just move the panel cable out of your way and use a penlight, swab, and tweezers to clean all around the head.

jsmith8881

1204 streaking

I have had the same problem in the past and it was due to printing a lot of banners. In my case the fuzz from the banner material was collecting on the print head around the ramp. Make sure you shine a flashlight under the print head when cleaning it, making sure to completely remove any fuzz you see. Also make sure there is no fuzz on your capping station or wiper. Another possibility is a worn or damaged wiper. As for the banner fuzz, I once read about someone who would use a propane torch to singe the fuzz off both ends of the roll each time before loading it in the printer. I've never tried it but seems logical.