• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204

intense_design

As it turns out my motherboard went out on my Mutoh 1204. I was wondering are there any technicians close to south dakota, rather than flying one out from Texas or Phoenix? They told me that I can't just buy a motherboard and put it in because you have to do some backup and so forth with it. Thanks in advance.

Stealth Ryder

Who is they? Any dealer will sell you one I am sure. It most likely will not carry a warranty unless installed by a trained tech.

intense_design

do you know if you have to back stuff up when it is installed.. I got my printer from signwarehouse. I'm just wondering if I could buy the part and put it in myself, but I also don't want to void a warranty either just to save some money. Was just curious if they told me that trying to make some money off me or if they really do have to back stuff up.

randya

There are a set of 'parameter' files that can be off loaded and placed in a new motherboard, but the old motherboard will have to have some functionality to get those off.

Otherwise, you will need all new alignments and will need to input the head rank.

Of course there will be no warranty, unless you are a trained and approved tech.

Stealth Ryder

do you know if you have to back stuff up when it is installed.. I got my printer from signwarehouse. I'm just wondering if I could buy the part and put it in myself, but I also don't want to void a warranty either just to save some money. Was just curious if they told me that trying to make some money off me or if they really do have to back stuff up.

1. If the machine still has a valid warranty why are you interested in doing this yourself?

Yes, as RandyA indicated you will need to dowload the Parameters from the current Mainboard and then upload to the new Mainboard once installed. If you do not you will be forced to perform all Alignment and Sensor Adjustments as well as enetering the Head Ranks.

Have you discussed this with a Tech from the Dealer where you purchased the machine? That would be a good place to start and get some answers from.

There are a set of 'parameter' files that can be off loaded and placed in a new motherboard, but the old motherboard will have to have some functionality to get those off.

Otherwise, you will need all new alignments and will need to input the head rank.

Of course there will be no warranty, unless you are a trained and approved tech.

Randy...Just curious...when you say "off loaded", is this something that can be done and saved JUST IN CASE your mother board goes out? My machine is 4 years old and it prints like the day I got it but time is ticking.

intense_design

Summit i'm not sure why it went out.. i got the runaround from tech support... I had used it that morning.. turned it off.. then realized 20 minutes later I forgot to print something.. so I went to turn it on; and it wouldn't turn on... I jumped on here and read some threads about leaving it unplugged for a while and also about changing out fuses.. I tried both of them.. nothing. Called 3 different tech supports.. (seeing if they all said the same thing as to what was wrong) and was told the motherboard was out. I bought this in dec. 2008, so I was quiet disappointed to find out that it was out, but what can you do. Seems about right for the life expectancy of electronics now days.. haha!

randya

Randy...Just curious...when you say "off loaded", is this something that can be done and saved JUST IN CASE your mother board goes out? My machine is 4 years old and it prints like the day I got it but time is ticking.

It takes Technicians access to do it.
So not something a user can do at this time.

You can print out the 'Parameters' file and save it.

You need to go into Maintenance Mode
Power off the printer
Hold the UP, DOWN and RIGHT arrows and power up.
Go to Print
Parameter

When done, power off and power back on normally.

Be VERY CAREFUL in Maintenance Mode.
You can disable the printer here and make changes that can cause problems.

If you have concerns contact your dealer or Mutoh and have them walk you through it.

Stealth Ryder

Summit i'm not sure why it went out.. i got the runaround from tech support... I had used it that morning.. turned it off.. then realized 20 minutes later I forgot to print something.. so I went to turn it on; and it wouldn't turn on... I jumped on here and read some threads about leaving it unplugged for a while and also about changing out fuses.. I tried both of them.. nothing. Called 3 different tech supports.. (seeing if they all said the same thing as to what was wrong) and was told the motherboard was out. I bought this in dec. 2008, so I was quiet disappointed to find out that it was out, but what can you do. Seems about right for the life expectancy of electronics now days.. haha!

Something normally happens in the background, IE Power Surge, etc. that makes an electronic component go bad...

intense_design

you bet I did all the obvious first.. the display screen won't even come on.. when I press the on button it does a flash of red on the data.. then nothing.. because of that.. they think it's the motherboard.

jhanson

Oh boy. I hope the parameter sheet that's saved inside the left cover is still current, then, because that means when the new board goes in everything's going to have to be manually entered.

Not a job I'd suggest for a novice.

intense_design

on the power supply board there is a green light that stays on, and then a red light will flash above it.. and the fan twitches as well. on the motherboard.. all red lights. I unplugged about all the connections and plugged them back in as well to hopefully get rid of some crud in there.

intense_design

jhanson.. I have no desire to even put it in, but if all it was, was unbolting some screws and reconnecting the cables, I though why not ask to make sure rather than spend all the money for someone to fly out and do it.. was just inquiring information. just wish if it were to be any board that it was the power supply!

oldog

Hello Hope its ok to jump in on topic.I have a VJ 1604 won't power up.Power button flickers red for a split second just like yours.My LEDs on the mother board and the relays on the heater board click on and off when i'm pressing the power button on and off.I sent my mother board and power supply to Inkjet Performance in Georgia.Said they have 37 years repairing boards and had test printers to check their repaired boards in .Turns out they planed on putting my board in their customers printer! Said power supply was bad and sold me a new one it didn't help! Would love to here how your repair goes.Good luck!

intense_design

Hey oldog i will let you know.. i found a tech 5.5 hours from me and they are coming out next week to take a look at it.. so i will keep you updated as to what is wrong.. have you found anything else out about yours?

oldog

Hello again;No I havn't done anything with my printer in months.The sad thing is I have had it for a couple of years and never really made any money with it,now it won't even come on .No telling how much other stuff has went down hill from setting for months now! I don't have the funds to get a tech right now ,thats one reasone I'm interested in how yours turns out .My vj 1604 is doing the exact same thing with the display light flickers when you try to power it up. I wouldn't mind even buying your old board to tinker with if their not worth too much . I have no idea of their value ,you can let me know if you are interested in letting go of yours.But even if your not interested in that please let me know what the tech said about yours and how everything turns out for you.Thanks so much for your reply I'm very interested to here what happens.

intense_design

all right, for all you guys wondering how everything turned out.. i will give you the low down..
New Motherboard, but wait that isn't all! Signwarehouse screwed me over.. no numbers on my print heads, and turns out they are aftermarket print heads.. and no i've never had these replaced before..
so in order for my machine to work, i had to buy new print head as well just so they could be calabriated with the printer software! when nothing was wrong with my old ones, just that they had no numbers on them because they must have switched them out at the warehouse before i bought the thing that was supose to be brand new!
I am definately frusterated with this, anyone have any input they would like to share about how to go about getting signwarehouse to pay for the print heads. Since it's their wrong doing in the first place.