• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204GA Color Help - Lost my Reds.

David40

I must have screwed something up real bad in my color profiles or presets in Flexi because I can't print good reds anymore. I had this problem when I first bought this printer, in fact I was angry that such an expensive printer was not able to produce a vibrant red that I could get out of a fifty dollar desktop printer right out of the box. Eventually I managed to get my reds and I thought I had well documented the profile and presets to produce those fine red shades. Now something has changed and my reds are back to coming out orange and brown. If there is anyone else out there using a Mutoh 1204 with Flexi, and you are getting great reds, could you please share what profile(s) and Preset(s) you are using?

Thank you

I use primarily Oracal vinyls.

David40

Missing a few but at 1440 res you can't really tell. Also, I should mention I can print out individual solid color bars of the 4 printer inks, and they look just fine. I believe the problem is with the software not the printer.

Last edited:

David40

Version 12.
Also I performed the test suggested by ColorCrest. Turning off all Color Management did nothing, Reds are still orange or brown. In retrospect i probably should have posted this issue in the Flexi section.

Ssignature

Do you buy any supplies from Fellers? If so, call our Equipment Support line Monday and I can remote in and get you fixed up. 888-863-8383 ext 3120. Ask for Scott

David40

Do you buy any supplies from Fellers? If so, call our Equipment Support line Monday and I can remote in and get you fixed up. 888-863-8383 ext 3120. Ask for Scott
Unfortunately I have never used Fellers, but thanks for the suggestion.

Johnny Best

I got Flexi RIP with my 1204 when I first purchased it. Nevrr liked Flexi and purchased another RIP that gave me great output for years. Anyway, work in rgb in illustrator and save as .eps with all boxes checked and that might help. Wlrking inside Flexi to try to solve your problem wonʼt hełp, it is just a shitty program.

unmateria

Hi David :) If the nozzle check looks good, the problem is software. Maybe you are using too much ink limit (on those vinyls can vary from 140 to 280%, not less, and in Flexi I think those settings are per job, not per profile) or you need to do a linearization with a densitometer (I dont use Flexi, so I dont know how is done there). ICC profiles shouldnt change if the linearization is ok.
Check Flexi Linearization and read carefully :)

David40

Hi David :) If the nozzle check looks good, the problem is software. Maybe you are using too much ink limit (on those vinyls can vary from 140 to 280%, not less, and in Flexi I think those settings are per job, not per profile) or you need to do a linearization with a densitometer (I dont use Flexi, so I dont know how is done there). ICC profiles shouldnt change if the linearization is ok.
Check Flexi Linearization and read carefully :)
I wish I could do that, but I never purchased Spectrophotometer, I am regretting that now.

David40

I got Flexi RIP with my 1204 when I first purchased it. Never liked Flexi and purchased another RIP that gave me great output for years. Anyway, work in rgb in illustrator and save as .eps with all boxes checked and that might help. Working inside Flexi to try to solve your problem wonʼt hełp, it is just a shitty program.
That's sad considering how expensive Flexi is. What are you using now?
What really makes me mad is how everything could be working real fine for years and then all of a sudden not. I found a media and color profile combination that produced excellent reds on all the vinyls I normally use, then that disappeared and I have no idea why.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Also I performed the test suggested by ColorCrest. Turning off all Color Management did nothing, Reds are still orange or brown.
Success requires a critical path.

So to start, what values exactly are being used for the vibrant red you're trying to produce. RGB or CMYK? Then, describe the color management settings for both RGB and CMYK documents being used in the RIP not forgetting the settings when saving PDF as well.

Post a photo of previous "reds" against the current red colors you're getting now.

David40

Success requires a critical path.

So to start, what values exactly are being used for the vibrant red you're trying to produce. RGB or CMYK? Then, describe the color management settings for both RGB and CMYK documents being used in the RIP not forgetting the settings when saving PDF as well.

Post a photo of previous "reds" against the current red colors you're getting now.
I use CMYK and my brightest red is using M=100 and Y=80, then I add K from 5 to 15 if I want darker reds, K=15 gives me a blood red. I attached pictures but I don't know if they show the difference very well. In person it's obvious. I'll follow up with screen shots of the settings first chance I get.

And Thanks very much for your interest in helping.

Attachments

• Bad.jpg
    Bad.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Good.jpg
    Good.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 40

David40

I need to put this thread on hold. I was missing a few nozzles but all of a sudden I am missing a bunch of nozzles. I tried several Strong Cleanings and that seems to make it worse. I can see the wiper after each cleaning and there is hardly anything on it as though ink is not being drawn out of the head during the cleaning process, so something is seriously wrong. Obviously any attempts at color management would be a complete waste of time till I get this fix or trash the printer.