• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1304 just started printing random blotches of ink.

fastlanesigns

ok so today I have 20 banners and a wrap to start printing. While printing the first couple banners my Mutoh starts laying down a random .25x2" blotch of ink in the middle of the design. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to get it to stop?

Thanks!
Mark
Fastlane Signs

attachment.php

Attachments

• emp_2.jpg
    emp_2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 438

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check underneath the print head and clean around the outside edges. Ink builds up over time and creates inkcicles that will end up dropping ink once enough builds up. Also, make sure your wiper is in the back position when the printer is printing. If it is stuck in the front position, the head will wipe across every time it moves back and forth which will build up ink to drop on the print as well.

If everything is clean and working properly I would change the dampers. A bad damper can sometimes cause too much ink to fall out while printing.

Do 2-5 times cleaning than you get a good result.
dishhobby
ok so today I have 20 banners and a wrap to start printing. While printing the first couple banners my Mutoh starts laying down a random .25x2" blotch of ink in the middle of the design. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to get it to stop?

Thanks!
Mark
Fastlane Signs

attachment.php

Wallscaper

Hi Mark- did you solve this problem, we have the same issue with Mutoh UMS inks...

Thanks!
Mark
Fastlane Signs

attachment.php

Hi Mark- did you solve this problem, we have the same issue with Mutoh UMS inks...

Wallscaper

This is how our printhead looks after printing- it is clean at start...

I have this problem months ago, solve it with wiper replacement.

Brent

attachment.php

There are two heads- the other is fine and they share the same wiper- any other ideas or do you think the wiper may still be the cause?

Many Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF2691.jpeg
    DSCF2691.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

guitarguy69

Are you running OEM or aftermarket ink? Cartridge or bulk tank?
I had that problem when I switched to a bulk system because of too much pressure. It would push ink out of the head.
Could also be a damper issue, when were they changed out last?

Wallscaper

...we are running OEM Mutoh UMS inks through a Mutoh bulk system , the heads were changed within the last six months, I assumed that would have included dampers?
When we take the cover off to look at the pipes feeding the heads the dampers in the left head look full of ink whereas the dampers on the right head look clear/clean...

(Thanks for you response)

Wallscaper

(...a bit of background...)

...originally we had a Mutoh Valuejet 1614 running OEM Eco Solvent Ultra inks- it worked very well, pretty much for 5 years (new head fitted mid 2013).
In the third quarter of 2013 we purchased a Mutoh Valuejet 1638 running the new OEM Mutoh UMS inks and converted the VJ1614 to UMS inks also- both on a bulk system.
Within a year (third quarter 2014) all heads simultaneously failed on Cyan (3 heads). we assumed it was the new inks so we converted the VJ1614 back to Eco Solvent Ultra- it is running fine again.
We have searched internet print forums and found no evidence that the Mutoh UMS inks are problematic, engineers differ in their view- some say they are fine, others wouldn't touch them- especially the bulk system.
We were considering changing to EcoSolUltra on the VJ1638 as of January this year but we are not very busy at the moment so the cost of re-profiling all of our medias at this quiet time made us delay that decision and we were not sure that the ink really is/was a problem.

Thanks in advance...

guitarguy69

You may want to double check to see if the dampers were replaced at the time the head was.
Others have suggested to me when I had the problem to lower the bulk tanks a bit to see if that helped what was believed to be a pressure issue.
Ultimately, my problem was the bulk system coupled with the older 1604 type dampers as they could not take the pressure.
I modified the printer to accept the newer 1614-1624 style dampers and since then have had no problems with too much pressure on the dampers causing ink to leak out.
Not saying this is your problem, but I sure would take a look at the dampers and snap a picture.

brycesteiner

...originally we had a Mutoh Valuejet 1614 running OEM Eco Solvent Ultra inks- it worked very well, pretty much for 5 years (new head fitted mid 2013).
In the third quarter of 2013 we purchased a Mutoh Valuejet 1638 running the new OEM Mutoh UMS inks and converted the VJ1614 to UMS inks also- both on a bulk system.
Within a year (third quarter 2014) all heads simultaneously failed on Cyan (3 heads). we assumed it was the new inks so we converted the VJ1614 back to Eco Solvent Ultra- it is running fine again.
We have searched internet print forums and found no evidence that the Mutoh UMS inks are problematic, engineers differ in their view- some say they are fine, others wouldn't touch them- especially the bulk system.
We were considering changing to EcoSolUltra on the VJ1638 as of January this year but we are not very busy at the moment so the cost of re-profiling all of our medias at this quiet time made us delay that decision and we were not sure that the ink really is/was a problem.

Thanks in advance...

What made you want to switch from the Eco Solvenet to the UMS inks? Is there an advantage?

brightbanner

i like vivid color
attachment.php

There are two heads- the other is fine and they share the same wiper- any other ideas or do you think the wiper may still be the cause?

Many Thanks.

There are two heads?
As I know, Mutoh VJ1304 only have one print head.
I will email one of my friend contact to you, he know Mutoh printers well.
You can contact them for more technical advice.

Brent

Wallscaper

...thanks to everyone for their replies-
we changed from Eco Ultra to UMS because they are the latest edition of Mutoh inks, cheaper, have a wider colour gamut, less solvent (more resin) and more aggressive bond to media/longer lasting.
My colleague said that the dampers were not changed when the heads were replaced so maybe that is the problem, the bulk tanks sit on top of the printer- they were part of the package that came with the printer so I guess they should be compatible.

We are awaiting news from our engineer- I'll keep you informed...once again- thank you all VERY much for taking an interest in this,

Best regards,
Richard/Piotr@Wallscapers.

Last edited: