• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1304 no Magenta Printing

fastlanesigns

I know this has had to been on here more than once, and I have searched and followed some suggestions. Now I am just lost on what to do except calling a tech support person to send someone here. Here is what I have done so far.

Normal maintenance cleaning
Took the side cover off and did extensive cleaning.
Then did a little charge twice
then a strong clean.

The magenta lines just look black, is this normal??

I have never ran out of ink, the lines have no air bubbles nor do they have any punctures and all seems to be running normally except it will not print any magenta.

Please please any more ideas?

Mark Scarbrough

Circleville Signs

If the magenta lines look black, you've got cross contamination in your lines. Your magenta cartridge could be empty. Are you using OEM inks?

fastlanesigns

Yes I am using the OEM inks and my magenta cartridge is at 63% full. I have checked the lines from start to end and they appear full with the magenta ink until they feed to the print heads. That is where they appear black to me. I have tried numerous things to fix the issue but nothing is working. If it would be the cross contamination, how do I fix this problem?

Thanks!
Mark

wunder

can be broken Inkchannel in the Head...you can test careful with a syring. we have this problem 2-3 times in the year. Only way NEW PH :(

best regards
wunder

mnapuran

I've had something like this happen a few times before... typically when the cleaning cycles aren't running like I have them scheduled.

The way I've solved it is multiple head soaks. Take a lint free cloth and soak in cleaning solution. Fold it over so it's a bit thick, then lay on the maint. station on the pad. Slide the head over to the maint. station and drop the head. Let it soak a few hours... remove the pad and then print a 48"x6" or so solid Magenta block.

It may take a few cycles to work... but it's solved our problems like this a few times over the years.

fastlanesigns

I've had something like this happen a few times before... typically when the cleaning cycles aren't running like I have them scheduled.

The way I've solved it is multiple head soaks. Take a lint free cloth and soak in cleaning solution. Fold it over so it's a bit thick, then lay on the maint. station on the pad. Slide the head over to the maint. station and drop the head. Let it soak a few hours... remove the pad and then print a 48"x6" or so solid Magenta block.

It may take a few cycles to work... but it's solved our problems like this a few times over the years.

Thank you I am trying this one now. I just got finished soaking the print heads.

fastlanesigns

It might be getting closer, now the Magenta test print went from a dark green to a brownish burgundy. I am guessing I should soak the heads again and run some more test prints. Any other suggestions??

mnapuran

It might be getting closer, now the Magenta test print went from a dark green to a brownish burgundy. I am guessing I should soak the heads again and run some more test prints. Any other suggestions??

Yup... just keep going. At the worst, it took about 6 soaks over 2 days to get everything back to normal.

heyskull

Soaking the head for prolonged times can actually promote cross contamination of the lines.
I would check if the inside of the capping station is touching the head and if it is change it. When was it last changed?!

I would then set up a print 48"x48! that is just a full size magenta block and then set it off.
As it prints you should be able to see the colour gradually change back to magenta.
Hopefully this will cure it.

SC

FatCat

I would then set up a print 48"x48! that is just a full size magenta block and then set it off.
As it prints you should be able to see the colour gradually change back to magenta.
Hopefully this will cure it.

SC

Agreed, this should remedy the situation for now and clean out the problem. If it doesn't then you know something is majorly wrong with the print head and it needs replaced. However, if you do get it fixed you then have to figure out what made this happen in the first place or it may happen again.

fastlanesigns

ok if this ends of being cross contamination, does soaking the print heads fix this or should I do an alternate technique. Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time I have had any issues with this printer in 3 years.

fastlanesigns

Okay, now I keep getting the wiper sensor error. Could this be what is causing the problem all together??

Thank you all so very much for your help!! You have no idea how grateful I am.

Mark

FatCat

ok if this ends of being cross contamination, does soaking the print heads fix this or should I do an alternate technique. Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time I have had any issues with this printer in 3 years.

No, soaking the head is usually only done in the case of clogged/missing nozzles. The soaking action tends to soften any dried ink or plugs in the nozzles and allows them to come loose with regular cleanings. To get rid of cross contamination you just need to keep running the offending color(s) or do cleanings or little charges until the contaminated ink is squirted through the head and nothing but good clean ink is in your lines. *You can usually see the color change by tracing the ink line back so far. If it's contaminated all the way back to the print cartridge, then you probably should throw the cart away and replace with a new one.

Okay, now I keep getting the wiper sensor error. Could this be what is causing the problem all together??

Thank you all so very much for your help!! You have no idea how grateful I am.

Mark

The wiper sensor error usually means something is preventing the wiper blade to move back and forth during a cleaning. Take your side cover off and look at the wiper assembly. Is it covered with ink or ink splatters? If so, a swab(s) soaked in solvent/cleaning solution can be used to wipe away any excess. Once clean, I usually follow that with a swab soaked in alcohol to remove excess solvent which could affect the plastic gears, etc.

I've only had 1 instance of cross contamination on my 1204 where I turned the machine off for a few days and came back to find the magenta lines were darker than usual. Not sure if it was due to a bad seal around the head, a piece of fuzz or lint got in there, or if the head came in contact with the sponge on the cap, or...? However, a VERY thorough cleaning of the cap, head and drain lines took care of the problem and I haven't see it since.

Hoping your fix is as simple. :thumb:

fastlanesigns

I am making progress though, the lines leading to the print heads look normal in color again. So at least that is good progress. :)

FatCat

I am making progress though, the lines leading to the print heads look normal in color again. So at least that is good progress. :)

Yes, that's good. If they look "close" to the right color you can probably stop and start printing again on jobs that aren't color critical. You may notice your reds printing a little dark for a while, but after a few banners, etc. it should totally clear up and be back to normal. As I mentioned before, be sure to look around for the cause of this and at the very least do a thorough cleaning of your head, cap station and flush those drain lines.

fastlanesigns

ok the colors seem to be back on track printing. I have ran several test with multi colored high res art. They look great for color except now I am showing lines through the prints. Would this be something on the print heads like lint or is it still working itself out. Check out my link to my dropbox of the last print. Any input is welcome.

Thanks!
Mark

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bmbaud0tevn8zb/DSC00401.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00401.JPG
    DSC00401.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:

Robert M

Maint station

Have you ever changed out the maintenance station. Sounds like the pump may not be pulling down waste ink and you wiper assembly may be full of dried ink.

fastlanesigns

Have you ever changed out the maintenance station. Sounds like the pump may not be pulling down waste ink and you wiper assembly may be full of dried ink.

I replaced it about 6 months ago and do weekly maintenance. It was suggested to flush the drain lines. I am not sure how to do that part and am researching it now. i am just grateful it is starting to get back to normal.