• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1324 problems

cmangham

I was wondering if anyone has had a lot of problems out of their Vj 1324. We bought ours brand new thru sign warehouse in March of 2015. Since arriving we have went thru 10 card readers, 2 junction cards, a print head, and eating on parts for 2nd maintenance station. We still have issues at times when the printer will say c/s card read error on different cartridges and when pulling out the cartridge the machine powers down and will not power back on until it is unplugged for about 5 seconds and plugged back in. Sign warehouse says they are the largest mutoh dealer in the USA but the says they have no contact or pull at mutoh. When I bring up the fact I feel I have a lemon no one wants to address that. I had a Vj 1624 for 3 years with absolute no trouble so this is very bothersome to me.

I was was wondering if anyone else has had these problems and any suggestions.

heyskull

That does sound like a lot of issues for under a years ownership.
One thing to say is the VJ1324s probably do not have as well built chassis as the larger machines.
Like youself I have had issues with card readers (bent pins) but no way to the amount you have had.
The issue is with sliding the ink carts in and out.
My old vj1604 has a bulk ink system installed and no longer needs for the carts to be removed.

My machine is 8 years old and has had only one print head!
It gets a maintenance station every 18 months and prints as well as it did from new.
I think if I was yourself, I would make sure it was running perfectly before the warranty runs out.

On a further note.
Can I say since fitting a bulk system to our machine, this made ink costs so cheap, which also meant more work was printed through it.
My advise being that the more these machines have to print the more reliable they become.
They do not like being left for days and are just wasting ink being left on standby.

SC

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Have you tried contacting Mutoh directly? We have sold many 1324 and none of them have any of these issues. Electrically the 1324 and 1624 are the same machines just in different frames. If the printer is turning off when you pull out an cartridge it sounds to me like you have a short somewhere in the printer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The 1324 and 1624 have been solid for us. It sounds like you need a Mutoh tech to come out and take a very good look at the electronics. Usually dealer and independent techs are not suited for this kind of work. As chrisphillips said, you most likely have a short somewhere causing the damage.

I would agree with Chris. Mutoh is a great company and I have seen them bend over backwards for customers. Even on machines I did not sell. I had a machine that was having similar issues. We replaced the s/c readers and the junction board and the problem was fixed. I am not sure if that was the problem or there was a contact issue.

cmangham

I am having problems with mutoh to a degree because on my second issue and having a tech out, I had been down a couple of days and was loosing a large customer because of it. I thought maybe I was having problems with cartridges so I plugged in a Bordeaux ink cartridge I had leftover from a my old 1624. I had to leave the tech working and he was still having trouble and mike bison from mutoh questioned the ink and without speaking to me (which we run mutoh brand while in warranty) tells the tech to pack his tools and leave immediately. The tech calls and tells me this and they ended up coming back out. But 5 months later mutoh is back on the bandwagon of 3rd party ink. We are not running 3rd party ink and I feel it's their escape goat. The tech came back out today to replace the maintenance station and it is up and going again. I am putting a call in to mutoh to discuss all the problems again, I am really concerned because the machine is less than a year old.

I appreciate the feedback but I am wondering if I made the mistake in not going with the hp latex though. I have a hp 5500 we print posters with still and have had it for 7 years, bought it used. Never one single problem. We had a 1624 for 3 years and never a problem, no parts ever replaced. We cleaned it weekly and swapped ink cartridges when it ran out and that was it and that's why we went back to mutoh.

Umca

Problem can be in power supply unit. Not short, but low voltage on +5V output.
You can check it by multimeter on red and black wires.

ProPDF

Why not just put this thing in a truck and drive it to the dealer. Sign warehouse told us they wanted all the receipts for OEM ink we have bought before they would send us a new head because we only bought 1 oem set from them and the rest from fellers. If you have a big customer or really have solid orders lined up why not have a second back-up printer especially if your going to loose orders with good profits? The used Mutoh's sell cheap on ebay too. Mutoh dealers are not the only one that acts like this fyi. As a printer you just need to be prepared to stay on top of issues as hair pulling as it can be at times.

0igo

I was wondering if anyone has had a lot of problems out of their Vj 1324. We bought ours brand new thru sign warehouse in March of 2015. Since arriving we have went thru 10 card readers, 2 junction cards, a print head, and eating on parts for 2nd maintenance station. We still have issues at times when the printer will say c/s card read error on different cartridges and when pulling out the cartridge the machine powers down and will not power back on until it is unplugged for about 5 seconds and plugged back in. Sign warehouse says they are the largest mutoh dealer in the USA but the says they have no contact or pull at mutoh. When I bring up the fact I feel I have a lemon no one wants to address that. I had a Vj 1624 for 3 years with absolute no trouble so this is very bothersome to me.

I was was wondering if anyone else has had these problems and any suggestions.

hey I'm glad I found someone else with this problem I ordered mine new from them as well when it arrived it did not print I had to get a new print head took literally close to two months to get this to work! they lied to me on the phone saying they would completely replace my printer if they couldn't get it to fix they never did. I spoke to this one guy named Keith from Signwarehouse literally the rudest guy I have ever talked to literally told me to shut up then apologized. honestly I want to try and take them to court my machine prints okay nowadays but not %100 perfect and never did print perfect. message me If you need help I'll shoot you my number