• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1604 Problem

I am having a problem with the Mutoh 1604. Printing 2 images that are about 60" tall x 48" wide. When the first print gets done and is on the floor, and the other vinyl begins to feed down and "lay" on top of it, the ink rubs off onto the opposing piece of vinyl. Is this due to my heater settings?

Printing on Oracal 3651. Let me know what your thoughts are, and what adjustments should be made.

Thanks!

jiarby

why aren't you using the pickup roller??

Crank the post platen heater to 50

Keep ink from touching ink... ie, don't let the two printed sides touch.

why aren't you using the pickup roller??

Crank the post platen heater to 50

Keep ink from touching ink... ie, don't let the two printed sides touch.

I'm use to using a Colorspan 72UVR and we printed without using the roll assembly to cut jobs off while the printer is still printing, etc., so trying to see if that will work on here. I just cranked the post platen heater up and it seems to be working better, but still is a bit "sticky" when two sides touch. I'll post another update when this print is done.

jiarby

yeah. you don't want the print faces touching at all... the face of one can touch the backing paper on the other.

The prints need a little time, the vinyl needs to cool and all the solvent evaporate. It is definitely NOT like UV curing.

Got ya. Well, I learned I don't like the 3651 for the application that I was using it for in this instance. Square sign, digital printed image to go on a large sign 5' ish by 4' ish, doesn't work really well for laying flat, vinyl is so thin it just curls over making it very difficult to lay.

Think i'll go back to Brite-Line for basic sign laying, use this stuff maybe for applications on other a different substrate,,

Well, I used the take-up roll on this last test run and it worked out well, let the print set for about 20 minutes, cut it, then weeded it. After getting the prints weeded, folded them on the table, came in this morning and unfolded them and the ink was sticking to the opposing sides (print touching print).

Is this something that is just normal and will always happen when two printed sides touch. I'm new to the Mutoh, use to using a Colorspan UVR printer and two sides touching was never an issue.

Is this the norm for Mutoh prints?

Thanks.

os101king

You really want the prints to dry for at least an hour before they come in contact. I have a 1604 as well and I have my printer/plotter set up paralell about 3 feet from one another (19'x19' shop... you figure it out). So when I run prints over 8 ft or so I watch the print until it's able to lay over the plotter... then I don't have to watch it so close. Having a take-up reel is the best way to go, just leave them rolled loosely instead of folding and you're fine. The print will NOT stick to the back of the liner paper, only to another print.

Letterbox Mike

You're still letting them touch too soon. Until the ink has fully cured, there will still be solvent in there. Of you put print to print where both surfaces are still curing, the solvent outgassing from both pieces will soften each other and "weld" them together. The same process that makes the solvent ink bite into the vinyl and stick will also make it stick to other pieces of vinyl, especially printed, of they touch.

Solvent ink is not like UV curable ink, solvent takes time to dry and cure, the solvent liquids in the ink must evaporate or outgas, leaving just the pigment behind on/in the media. UV curable ink dries instantly due to a chemical reaction when exposed to UV light.

Got ya. Thanks for the input guys, helps me out alot. I've come to the conclusion to definitely use the take up reel, then leave it on there. Then I will leave most jobs on the roll for as long as possible until needed to be taken off.

Oh, and to you with a 19'x19' shop, I'm not much different..about 18'x24' w/ a small storage room about 12'x12'

I have my printer and plotter set up exactly the same as you,works great though.