• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1604 refurbish questions

PreImp

So I picked up an older 1604. The maintenance station was caked with old ink all over the place (i.e wiper, gears, etc.). I removed the maintenance station and cleaned every little nook and cranny, hoses, took apart pump, etc. to get it working again. I dropped it in the machine today and when I ran a cleaning cycle it spit out some ink outside the maintenance station and also dropped ink in the area where the wiper slides back and forth (this area was all seized with dry ink when I got it.) I was curios if this would be indicative of a bad capping station, or something else??

Additional info:

I have got the black firing with a perfect nozzle pattern, cyan with minimal nozzle pattern and nothing on the yellow and magenta. I syringed ink through all of the dampers, but the yellow and cyan dampers seem to be full, which I think is not a good thing.

When I do a cleaning there is ink visible running through the waste lines and a little charge dumps ink into the waste bottle.

I haven't replaced any parts yet, because I just started cleaning it up.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

heyskull

For starters change the complete maintenance station for new, even a non original one is fine as it is pointless trying to clean it as it works hard and is key to long print head life.
In fact my last two maintenance stations have not been original items and have lasted longer than the originals and have had less issues.
On my 8 year old 1604 I change the maintenance station every 1-2 years.
My machine has had one head change and due to meticulous cleaning and printing about 30 - 50 metres of material per week still runs as well as the day we had it installed.
Once a week clean around the printhead and ramps either side off.
Clean the wiper and the slide area which the wipe runs in.
Clean around capping station.
Pour a small amount of cleaning fluid into the cap as this cleans and lubricates.
Do not leave idle as these machine thrive on a lot of use.
When finished printing do not turn off leave in sleep mode so it cleans every 6 hours.

Print head and cable has to be replaced every 4-5 years regardless of use as they can short out and in a worst case scenario destroy the main board (expensive) or blow the F2 fuse (awfull to replace).

Hope this helps.

SC

PreImp

That's great information.. Thank you for that. For my personal understanding... What it is it that typically fails on the maintenance station??

Also does a full damper usually mean there is a blockage in the line or does that as well have to do with the maintenance station?

Thanks again,

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Usually a full damper means it is very old, your bulk system is bad and/or the maintenance station is not pulling ink properly. We carry the full maintenance stations on our website and have some other options to rebuild the maintenance station which will save you about 50%. Feel free to give us a call: 303-733-6671