• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MUTOH 1618 vrs 1614

mharrison

We are looking at adding another machine to our collection and came across the 1618 dual head mutoh. Can someone explain the need for this machine over the 1614? Thanks for your help.

Martin

SignBurst PCs

Please let me premise this by saying that I am not a printer expert.

I just happened to be down at the Mutoh facility last week preparing for their Open House and took a quick peek at the 1618. One of the gentlemen told me that it prints nearly twice as fast as the 1614 using two heads instead of one.

I am sure one of the Mutoh buffs has a better explanation.

Matt Cuellar

It's still based off the same platform, just adding a new head. However, the only downside is that it's an additional $12k ($34,995 list v $22,995 list), so I think it's just an evaluation on how critical print speed is to you. 184 sq/ft per hour on the 1614 is a pretty good clip, just got to do what works best.

PartyMatt

If you are going to spend that kind of money you might want to look at the Mimaki JV5. It has 4 heads, more speed, bigger ink capacity, and some other cool tech for around $38k.

mharrison

Thanks for all of your input. Im planning on going to the SGIA show in Atlanta in October to look at the machines in person.

MacDaddy

Nice to meet you Matt.... I had actually met the other Matt previously nut it's darn nice to meet you sir.....