• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1624 Black head not firing 80% suddenly!

LenXIII

Hello Everyone,

So I have a 1624 which up until yesterday has been great. All of a sudden yesterday I noticed the left channel of the black head was only firing about the top 10-20% of it's nozzles in a sporadic pattern. After tons of trouble shooting, cleanings etc no luck. I realized the cleaning station has not been replaced in a long time and was gummed up quite a bit. I took off all of the hoses and cleared everything out 100% and after doing cleanings I can see clean ink free flow through the hoses like it should so it appears to at least be functioning most of the way. Well as of today now the other side of the black head is doing the same thing so there's hardly any black nozzles firing now.

Obviously the machine needs a new cleaning station, but I still feel that I should be able to get better results than I am with everything I've tried even if the station isn't capping perfectly. I mean you could technically force the printer to not clean for days and it would still work better than it is now so I wonder if it's something like a damper or air in the system. I've replaced the rubber cap on the ink supply cartridge but that's about it. OEM inks since day one using 1000ml bags. Printhead is 3 years old. Any advice?

I'm about to pay my tech to buy all the parts and come but if I don't need to waste 2k+ on a head that should be working I would rather not. The other 3 colors are firing 100% without a single missing nozzle and no deflections - I have taken care of this printer with the exception of my ignorance on the cleaning station :(

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you haven't changed the dampers in over a year, that's where I would start. Ink flowing through the station is a good sign it's working but it may not be pulling hard enough either since it's an older one. If you want to troubleshoot the head, just switch the black damper with the one next to it and run a cleaning cycle. Then run a nozzle check and see what prints. If the black prints perfectly in the new postilion and the colors do not, the head could be fried. If the black still doesn't fire but the other colors fire perfectly in the black position, you probably have ink flow issues above the print head.