• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mutoh 1624 fisheye

lbpalm

well, I have straightened out a head height issue on my 1624 and it now prints like a new machine.
....with one exception: FISHEYE!!!

Please take a look at the print images.
this is a 720x720 profile.

Also,
IMG_9609[1].JPG
IMG_9608[1].JPG
no heat to avoid head strike.
((use heat????)

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Fisheyes are almost always either contaminated material (dust, finger prints, etc.) or old/defective vinyl. That's what this looks like to me. Does it happen on any other materials? Heat could very well help as well as it's needed for the ink to bite into the vinyl properly.

lbpalm

Fisheyes are almost always either contaminated material (dust, finger prints, etc.) or old/defective vinyl. That's what this looks like to me. Does it happen on any other materials? Heat could very well help as well as it's needed for the ink to bite into the vinyl properly.

- Material is brand new & good quality (cast) Oracal.
I'm pretty careful to handle the material with cotton gloves & keep a plastic bag over the roll when it is not in the machine, but yes, I suppose it could have brushed against my arm while transferring to the machine.
I'm gonna use some heat, but I seem to get buckling.
- Temp here is 76.6 deg.F and 46% humidity.
--Too much humidity?

Thanks for replying!

rjssigns

Just because the material is fresh out of the box doesn't mean it's good to go. Have had to return multiple rolls of contaminated materials from all different manufacturers.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just because the material is fresh out of the box doesn't mean it's good to go. Have had to return multiple rolls of contaminated materials from all different manufacturers.

Yeah it all depends on how long it sat on their shelf before it got to you.

LenXIII

Anytime I've ever seen that it was bad 3m vinyl. 3m's IJ40 and IJ35 in gloss are always problematic like that for me while NO OTHER vinyl or brand seems to get it as often. In every case it has been defective vinyl. You'll pull your hair out trying to trouble-shoot it. See how the red ink is creating like a oceanwave effect? (not the wave pattern from printing) it's like the ink isn't resting properly on the vinyl. I've had that exact issue several times on a batch of IJ40 vinyls and especially with those rich saturation colors. I bet if you printed 100% yellow or cyan it would look mostly fine with the exception of some of the contamination dots.

Just return the vinyl and make sure you get a different lot.

EDIT: I would like to mention I think some manufacturer's are doing less quality control with all the latex printers out there these days. I can almost guarantee that vinyl will look fine on a latex printer as everytime I had that issue I let me friend with the HP 360 print on it if I was in a bind and it always looked fine (for the most part.) Latex doesn't appear to be AS sensitive to contaminated vinyls as our eco solvents are.