• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1624x Media buckling

Gman75

hello we just purchased the Mutoh 1624x
And we are getting media buckling.
I have lowered the heaters to 35 and have made sure the media is loaded properly.
It’s starts off good printing fine and then you can see the media starts to buckle and cuase headstriking. Is there other setting i should know about? Vacuum settings?
Thanks
Tony

henryp

To test if this is heat related, switch off all heaters then send the same job. Set vacuum to high and make sure media is feeding straight, then see what happens.

Gman75

To test if this is heat related, switch off all heaters then send the same job. Set vacuum to high and make sure media is feeding straight, then see what happens.

Great thank you. I had the valuejet 1304 for over 10 years and never had this issue.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If the above advice does not help:
Are you using the takeup reel? If you are try printing without it. If it works then - you might need to square up the take-up or change the way you tape up the media.

Brian Guthrie

Tony, I have been running my 1624X for over 6 months now and have the same gremlins. Mine started with Oracal 3951 and would bunch up about 20" in to a run and head strike/rub. Thought it was a bad roll but since then have had several other brands (Avery1105, 3m180, and cheaper Brightline wrap cast) all exhibit the same problem. I ended up setting the platen to no more than 36º and makes it better but must release hold down after done or next time you run the material is all bunched up after cool down and head strikes occur during initialization. Machine runs great if running all the time and getting through initial issues but would love to run a little hotter for color enhancement.

I tried talking with Mutoh and they just said it is a temperature thing and must be dialed in for each material. Took that as a "don't bother us with this minor stuff" response so trying to work it out myself. All temperature are consistent with settings all the way across with accurate readings from thermocouples and IR probe on black tape.

I know this doesn't help but at least you know your not fighting it alone. Good luck.

BTW, take up real is not issue, happens before enough material to even attach.

Gman75

If the above advice does not help:
Are you using the takeup reel? If you are try printing without it. If it works then - you might need to square up the take-up or change the way you tape up the media.
Ok thank you! I’m pretty sure this is a temperature issue as I’ve lowered the temp and been much better since. The Mutoh rep mentioned it could of been the take up reel as well so thank you for your reply!

Gman75

Tony, I have been running my 1624X for over 6 months now and have the same gremlins. Mine started with Oracal 3951 and would bunch up about 20" in to a run and head strike/rub. Thought it was a bad roll but since then have had several other brands (Avery1105, 3m180, and cheaper Brightline wrap cast) all exhibit the same problem. I ended up setting the platen to no more than 36º and makes it better but must release hold down after done or next time you run the material is all bunched up after cool down and head strikes occur during initialization. Machine runs great if running all the time and getting through initial issues but would love to run a little hotter for color enhancement.

I tried talking with Mutoh and they just said it is a temperature thing and must be dialed in for each material. Took that as a "don't bother us with this minor stuff" response so trying to work it out myself. All temperature are consistent with settings all the way across with accurate readings from thermocouples and IR probe on black tape.

I know this doesn't help but at least you know your not fighting it alone. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Brian i think it is a temp issue too. It’s been much better since I’ve lowered it. I will definitely take your advice about releasing the pressure rollers after each print. I noticed that with the 1624 the gap in between the gripper rollers is much bigger giving it more space to buckle as in the older machine 1304 there was very little space for this to happen. I thought things are supposed to improve with newer models not get worse. Oh well o guess I just have to learn the setting for each media.
Thanks again for support and reply!

Gman75

Hello Henry can you tell me how to set the vacuum settings to high please. I tried looking for it under setup with no luck. Thanks in advance!

henryp

The vacuum setting is on the Media Type sub menu. With this printer model, you can have to 30 (?) Media Types and you can have different values for all of these sub menus, the printer will remember the settings so all you have to do is select the corresponding Media Type to the media loaded on the printer.

Attachments

• ice_screenshot_20181012-125640.png
    ice_screenshot_20181012-125640.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 215

Gman75

The vacuum setting is on the Media Type sub menu. With this printer model, you can have to 30 (?) Media Types and you can have different values for all of these sub menus, the printer will remember the settings so all you have to do is select the corresponding Media Type to the media loaded on the printer.
Great Henry thanks for your help!

morty87

I run the mutoh 1624 and i have to keep my vacuum on at medium and i run 31/33/50 for both photo paper, vinyl and canvas so all thicker materials. It drastically cut down on the head strikes and the bunching. I have also loosened the media from the roll its not having to pull it off the roll and that really seems to help as well. Then once long enough I put on the take up reel. Hope it works out for u. Cheers

henryp

Having a controlled print environment is the key, ideal room temp should be around 24 deg C (+ or - 2 deg) with 50-60% humidity. Depending on the ink limits on your profiles, you can set the Pre-Heater to 36-40 C degrees, Platen Heater 38-42 degrees C, and Dryer to 45 degrees C and above. To minimize head strikes, use the lowest temperatures that will still dry your ink and control the dot gain to maintain the correct dot size.

Gman75

I run the mutoh 1624 and i have to keep my vacuum on at medium and i run 31/33/50 for both photo paper, vinyl and canvas so all thicker materials. It drastically cut down on the head strikes and the bunching. I have also loosened the media from the roll its not having to pull it off the roll and that really seems to help as well. Then once long enough I put on the take up reel. Hope it works out for u. Cheers
Great info I will try these settings. Thanks

Gman75

Having a controlled print environment is the key, ideal room temp should be around 24 deg C (+ or - 2 deg) with 50-60% humidity. Depending on the ink limits on your profiles, you can set the Pre-Heater to 36-40 C degrees, Platen Heater 38-42 degrees C, and Dryer to 45 degrees C and above. To minimize head strikes, use the lowest temperatures that will still dry your ink and control the dot gain to maintain the correct dot size.
Yes Henry lower temps have definitely made a huge difference. Thanks again for all your help!!