• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1638 Printing Line Issues

rick801762

Have a new issue we haven't come across before with our Mutoh's Wondering if anyone has seen this or knows where to start.
We have checked and reseated data and head cables and ribbons and checked appropriate boards for issues.

Attachments

• 20150922_101321_resized.jpg
    20150922_101321_resized.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 551
  • 20150922_101417_resized.jpg
    20150922_101417_resized.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 20150922_101423_resized.jpg
    20150922_101423_resized.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 333

MagnetStew

Had this happen on the 1638's older brother the 1618 several times. Every time it needed the CR cables replaced. Is it erroring out on you at all?

rick801762

Thanks for the info Magnetstew. I have seen it too many years ago on a 1604. I just don't recall how it was resolved. I know it stumped our service tech
for awhile. I will get a new cr cable coming in and see if that corrects the issue.
Thanks again!

Karen-Kang

Have a new issue we haven't come across before with our Mutoh's Wondering if anyone has seen this or knows where to start.
We have checked and reseated data and head cables and ribbons and checked appropriate boards for issues.

the banding problem, horizontal banding related to the ink supply system.have you check the dampers?

heyskull

I would also check and clean the encoder strip and disk.
Seems strange it is showing in different colours though.
I note you say you have reseatted the cables, but not replaced.
The next thing I would try (because it's the cheapest fix) is replace the head cables with new OEM ones.
I can't see how this could be dampers as it is showing on different colours but that is the next cheapest fix.
Also I would check and clean the plug where the printhead cable plugs in.
Then if the issue continues you have a print head or print heads that is failing, which is the expensive fix.

SC

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
First thing to try is to print with each head independently. You can do this under the Setup Menu > Single Head. If only one head is shorting out than it is most likely either the head cables or head itself. If both heads are doing it it would point to the CR cables or boards.

Another thing to check is that the sensors for the main cover are positioned properly. It is extremely rare for this to happen but if one sensor is in the right spot and the other one is out just slightly it can toggle open/closed when this happens the printer can do some strange things. I have seen this happen twice in the past, one on a 2606 and one on a 1638X.