• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1641SR or Epson S40600

Zakk

I would love to get some opinions based on personal experiences on either of these two printers. If you have used both and can compare, that would be incredible, but I believe I have narrowed it down to these two. Will use for mostly wraps and general signage. Speed is not a huge factor, but print quality and product reliability are. If there is something better in the 10K price range, I am open, but I don't think there is. Thanks a lot!

rjssigns

I run a 1624x but stay with me. When the 1641SR hit the market I called my dealer and said I want one. He said: "Between what you have and what the SR can do there isn't enough of a change to warrant switching. You will not notice a difference in printing".

He could have said "Sure come right down we'll get you set up". Says a lot about the printer but also the integrity of the dealer.

Not sure if that helps.

My advice is the same as it's always been. Buy from the dealer in your town. Even if it costs more. There is no discussion on this point. Did the long distance "got a smokin' deal" thing. Nearly smoked my business. It was a $15000.00 lesson in why you buy local. I will never recoup that money or the clients. Fact.

Zakk

I run a 1624x but stay with me. When the 1641SR hit the market I called my dealer and said I want one. He said: "Between what you have and what the SR can do there isn't enough of a change to warrant switching. You will not notice a difference in printing".

He could have said "Sure come right down we'll get you set up". Says a lot about the printer but also the integrity of the dealer.

Not sure if that helps.

My advice is the same as it's always been. Buy from the dealer in your town. Even if it costs more. There is no discussion on this point. Did the long distance "got a smokin' deal" thing. Nearly smoked my business. It was a $15000.00 lesson in why you buy local. I will never recoup that money or the clients. Fact.
I appreciate the reply, but I am not sure if I implied in some way that I was thinking to buy from afar. As it turns out, the last time I bought a printer from a local dealer (Grimco), it was the worst thing I have done since I opened my business because they royally screwed me on the service. Once they sold me the printer, I was totally on my own. They never solved any issue with it and I gut stuck with a mighty expensive paper weight. When I bought a machine from a seller on the other side of the state and then I had a problem, they sent a tech out within 2-3 days to tke care of it. Anyhow, I am sure that is not always the case, but that was my experience.
Since there is not much difference between your printer and the 1641, can you tell me about your experience with your machine? How does it do with large gradients? Do you ever have issues with color consistency from panel to panel or repaet printing of the same job? Any strange issues with quality, resolution, banding, head strikes, cap top, etc...?

rjssigns

I appreciate the reply, but I am not sure if I implied in some way that I was thinking to buy from afar. As it turns out, the last time I bought a printer from a local dealer (Grimco), it was the worst thing I have done since I opened my business because they royally screwed me on the service. Once they sold me the printer, I was totally on my own. They never solved any issue with it and I gut stuck with a mighty expensive paper weight. When I bought a machine from a seller on the other side of the state and then I had a problem, they sent a tech out within 2-3 days to tke care of it. Anyhow, I am sure that is not always the case, but that was my experience.
Since there is not much difference between your printer and the 1641, can you tell me about your experience with your machine? How does it do with large gradients? Do you ever have issues with color consistency from panel to panel or repaet printing of the same job? Any strange issues with quality, resolution, banding, head strikes, cap top, etc...?

Because of my experience I give the buy local advice to everyone.

I bought local again, and to date have had an awesome experience. Got a good deal on the printer, bulk ink system, and an unlocked version of Flexi. If you run a Graphtec plotter the Flexi that comes bundled will be all you need.

Large gradients are nice and smooth. No issues with color consistency. Wrap repairs haven't been an issue, and print quality is great. Been running everything at 720x720. First paying job I did a year ago was a boat name in dark blue. Print looked like cut vinyl.

A few files would generate slight banding but that was fixed by going to medium droplet size within a canned profile. I have equipment to generate my own profiles and will be working on that in the coming weeks.

No issues with cap top, or wipers. Maintenance station had a hose split, but that was a factory defect. Complete maintenance station replaced under warranty.

Head strikes. Recently had the edge of some vinyl lift and get caught which stalled the carriage, so I had the tech pay a visit. I wasn't with him the whole time so not sure the extent of what he did, but he said nothing was damaged. Still prints like day one. I run the 1 liter bags of OEM ink. Ink for the SR series ink may be a tad cheaper. Can't remember.

One thing I really like is the take up reel. Very well built compared to others on the market. I also like the fact the printer is about as basic as you get. No touch screens, no auto pressure on pinch rollers and no complicated controls or menus to scroll through to get work done. Turn it on and send a file.

Overall the printer runs very well and I couldn't produce the amount of work I do without it. Once the vinyl is tacked to the take up reel I walk away and don't worry about it.

If you have more questions just ask.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Not really because they are 2-3 times the price.

Get a quote on the JV150 or CJV150 and you will be comparing apples to apples. The JV300 and CJV300 are dual headed machines which makes them more expensive than the single headed JV150, CJV150 and SR1641. I prefer Mimaki's MAPs technology over the wave tech Mutoh uses.

Zakk

Because of my experience I give the buy local advice to everyone.

I bought local again, and to date have had an awesome experience. Got a good deal on the printer, bulk ink system, and an unlocked version of Flexi. If you run a Graphtec plotter the Flexi that comes bundled will be all you need.

Large gradients are nice and smooth. No issues with color consistency. Wrap repairs haven't been an issue, and print quality is great. Been running everything at 720x720. First paying job I did a year ago was a boat name in dark blue. Print looked like cut vinyl.

A few files would generate slight banding but that was fixed by going to medium droplet size within a canned profile. I have equipment to generate my own profiles and will be working on that in the coming weeks.

No issues with cap top, or wipers. Maintenance station had a hose split, but that was a factory defect. Complete maintenance station replaced under warranty.

Head strikes. Recently had the edge of some vinyl lift and get caught which stalled the carriage, so I had the tech pay a visit. I wasn't with him the whole time so not sure the extent of what he did, but he said nothing was damaged. Still prints like day one. I run the 1 liter bags of OEM ink. Ink for the SR series ink may be a tad cheaper. Can't remember.

One thing I really like is the take up reel. Very well built compared to others on the market. I also like the fact the printer is about as basic as you get. No touch screens, no auto pressure on pinch rollers and no complicated controls or menus to scroll through to get work done. Turn it on and send a file.

Overall the printer runs very well and I couldn't produce the amount of work I do without it. Once the vinyl is tacked to the take up reel I walk away and don't worry about it.

If you have more questions just ask.
Thank you. That is all incredibly helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time.
When I talk to the Epson salespeople, they tell me that the Mutoh uses older tech Epson printheads (not sure if they got better or worse or if that is even accurate), so it is good to hear a testimonial for the quality of Mutoh. I'll definitley reach back oout if I have other Mutoh questions.

Henrix Overcash

I would love to get some opinions based on personal experiences on either of these two printers. If you have used both and can compare, that would be incredible, but I believe I have narrowed it down to these two. Will use for mostly wraps and general signage. Speed is not a huge factor, but print quality and product reliability are. If there is something better in the 10K price range, I am open, but I don't think there is. Thanks a lot!
I have a Mutoh 1624x with Flexi 19 that I'll sell cheap. Printer works perfect just updated because we had to have something faster.

dmcgary

In the past 17 years I’ve owned three mutohs and still have two though use them only on a limited and special need basis. Was very pleased with all of them except the last when I had to babysit it or the take up would cause it to head strike over a short run. It still got the job done though. We Added a new epson 60600 2 years ago. Slight learning curve as it operates a little differently but well worth the trade off. Amazing printer and take up system. Virtually trouble free. I can’t say enough good things about it. Is it the greatest printer in the world and does it out do the 1641 Mutoh, I don’t know. I guess it depends on what you need. We do wraps mostly. At this day in age, It would be hard to convince me to choose Mutoh over an Epson. I’m probably just sour over the loads of lost material and time from reprints of the 1624. Also, for what it’s worth, No need for service calls on either brand of the latter printers at the two year mark. Mutoh 1624 or the epson s60600.