• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 2638 problems

dtind

Hi,

I have a mutoh 2638, I'm not stranger to the mutoh range nor digital printing, prior machine was mutoh spitfire extreme.

so the machines about 6 months old, I have experienced a problem on another job mid range grey, but 2nites job I felt like killing someone lol!!!

The problem is when printing solid black or shades of black I will get a repeated lighter black thru the print running width ways (horizontal). And it will have let's say every 100mm the stop goes back to black, then goes lighter and continues to repeat itself.

Does not happen on any other colour. I am printing at 720 x 1440 dpi quality mode
ive tried everything, can profile, change media, still happens I mainly use metamark md5, but I was printing on avery 1005 as I am wrapping a race trailer.

it feels like its dropping out and coming back in. I did find a away to get the job printed about 30m worth and I've almost end used up the 45m roll from all the trials to get a decent print.

Only way I could get out of this pickle was to use 1 head, it didn't matter if it was head 1 or head 2. Although I did seem some overlapping of colour on head 1.

But to be running one head on a dual head machine was painfully slow....

images links below

http://postimg.org/image/76d4lqa8b/

http://postimg.org/image/5da7xep1n/

http://postimg.org/image/5c0a3zn7v/

http://postimg.org/image/yd00znia3/

http://postimg.org/image/4wkex8bwr/

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It could be an ink drop out due to bad dampers or air getting into the ink system otherwise. I would check the encoder disk behind the left side cover. It s a clear plastic disk that is read by a sensor which straddles it. Make sure there is no ink dust collecting on the sensor and the disk. You can clean the disk and sensor with rubbing alcohol.

Sometimes it can just be a worn out cap top that isn't priming the system well enough. Watch the waste tank when running a cleaning cycle to see if ink is actually flowing into the tank. If not, the pump could be clogged or the cap top isn't sealing properly with the head. Check your ink lines for any air bubbles. Even a tiny bit of air could cause drop out. If all else fails I would double check that the machine is level.

dtind

It could be an ink drop out due to bad dampers or air getting into the ink system otherwise. I would check the encoder disk behind the left side cover. It s a clear plastic disk that is read by a sensor which straddles it. Make sure there is no ink dust collecting on the sensor and the disk. You can clean the disk and sensor with rubbing alcohol.

Sometimes it can just be a worn out cap top that isn't priming the system well enough. Watch the waste tank when running a cleaning cycle to see if ink is actually flowing into the tank. If not, the pump could be clogged or the cap top isn't sealing properly with the head. Check your ink lines for any air bubbles. Even a tiny bit of air could cause drop out. If all else fails I would double check that the machine is level.

I will try theses things this morning and let you know... Hopefully it's something as simple as that..

dtind

I have levelled to whole machine, and checked for air in lines, it seems to be clear and all spot on level, cleaned the clear disc had a bit of dirt, but not much.

Still getting the same issues, Did print at 100% black and 50,50,50,100 CMYK

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Try printing with each print head separately to narrow down the problem to one head or the other. The setting is called Single Head and it is under the setup menu.

dtind

Had the technicians out today, after 8 hours, metres n metres of print we have narrowed it down...

not PC, nor RIP or any environmental factors or alignment issues or feed issues.
heads are looking ok, that said... Now we are looking at electronic boards 1st the board that controls the firing of heads, then if no improvement moving no motherboard...

dtind

*Update

The machine still has the same problems, they have changed motherboard and the CR board that controls the firing of the heads.
They are trying to blame materials/profiles. Which I think they are trying to pass the buck, as prior to this happening we printing on various materials with not one issue, even used material we have here (same roll stock)
I am slowly losing faith in the techs ability to rectify the issue at hand.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Are these lines happening at the same interval all the time or is it random? Do you see it in the printers internal Palette test? Does it happen if you change the print mode?

dtind

Are these lines happening at the same interval all the time or is it random? Do you see it in the printers internal Palette test? Does it happen if you change the print mode?

It happens constantly, it seems at certain distance but then again some will be closer than others. Black and dark colours, but we have seen it thru straight Magenta and Cyan, they have printed with no profiles, with profiles etc they have done all those test we are upto about 125m of media testing the printing side of things. As i total them before I doubt its a profile issue.

The think its a feeding issue of some sort. they replaced the encoder for the grit roller today, it has some markings on it. They also found out that the grit roller has a wobble to it, as it slightly comes off the bearing (capping station side) They need to ask japan if grit roller is bent or thats how its meant to be.

We will see.. its now 4 weeks

dtind

Thru network, but they have used techs laptop direct connection, same problem.

They some how got it to work yesterday i printed about 35m worth of prints, then fire it up this morning and its back..... Its slowly destroying my life hahahah... and the techs.
They have thought it was power, they put a UPS on it did not make a difference we have ruled out all PC to machine and environment issues. have to remember they have been working on the issue for 4 weeks now...

Thing is the printer was working fine for 6months, and now its a nightmare....