• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Conversion

jhines1284

I have a RJ6000, which is a Falcon Indoor(43" model). Considering trying to switch this machine over to an outdoor so solvent inks can be printed. We weren't in the market for a printer but picked up the machine for $400 and figured it would make a good side project trying to convert it. I know heaters will have to be added, and the heads capping station, and tubes will need replaced. Am I missing anything else that would need to be switched over as well. Mutoh did make an outdoor version of this size machine which I believe was a Rockhopper 43.

I would like to include heaters from an original Mutoh machine if this can be accomplished rather then rigging something up.

Thanks everyone, this will make quite a fun project I'll be sure to take plenty pics to share.

Julius

Jackpine

Yours is a pigment printer. The heaters may be more trouble than they are worth to retrofit. www.cmykparts.com is one place I get parts. I have a Falcon Jr 38" eco solvent. You can print on coated material with UV film laminate and get 2-3 years or more outdoors depending where you live. $400 was a great price. There is a lot of interior short term work your printer would be great at. Trade show banners, POP displays, floor graphics to name a few. I would call Gregory's in Kansas and talk to Roy in tech support. He may be able to point you in the right direction.

Fuzzbuster

Buy the time you do all changeover ...could buy used working decent solvent machine...with one 20th kess greif and money...

just my 2 cents

best a luck

PS good luck with the new profiles:cool:

jhines1284

Buy the time you do all changeover ...could buy used working decent solvent machine...with one 20th kess greif and money...

just my 2 cents

best a luck

PS good luck with the new profiles:cool:

Money really isnt an option, plus considering I only paid $400 for the machine(I've had bar tabs larger) I'm looking forward to the grief and knowledge gained. In my eyes the moneys well worth the spending for a fun project.

Fuzzbuster

Money really isnt an option, plus considering I only paid $400 for the machine(I've had bar tabs larger) I'm looking forward to the grief and knowledge gained. In my eyes the moneys well worth the spending for a fun project.

Sorry Dude

I didn`t know you had time on your hands to mess around and spend huge amounts of money to get an old girl like that runnin

Most of us run printers in print or sign shops and would never have time to waste like that

My customers would go somewhere else if i didn`t produce on time quality prints.

Best of luck in your project

PPS Good luck with your profiles:cool:

Sign Magic

Here is a thought. If you have considered doing dye sublimation printing it would probably be easier to convert that printer to print dye sub. Go buy yourself some dye sub ink, transfer paper and a heat press and you will be in a specialized business at a very low cost.

I think the motherboard on the Falcon Outdoor is different from your printer and would also need to be replaced (or at the very least the firmware would be different).

However, dye sub inks would dry on the transfer paper without heat. I have a nextra Falcon Outdoor printer that I am not currently using and I was thinking about converting it to dye sub printing myself. The folks at Mutoh said it could be done even though they don't sell dye sub ink. It should be a rater easy conversion for your printer.