• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon 48 Potential purchase

integritysigns

I'm close to pulling the trigger on our first printer purchase. This is a lightly used falcon being sold stating it needs new print heads. I've done my fair share of searching on this great forum and found cmykparts.com so I know what I'm getting into cost wise.

The current owner did the Capping station and Eco Solvent Ultra upgrade when he bought it but doesn't use it enough to keep it from clogging up (or just didn't care enough to keep it up). I've got him down to $2000 (no rip software) for this printer, do you all think this is a good deal and a good first printer for a sign shop?

I've tried searching for print samples of this printer in production mode and can't find anything, anyone have some samples to link me? I also understand production speeds are somewhat slow compared to valuejets.

Thanks in advance for the opinions and help!

luggnut

speed is slow... i have one. but i'm a small shop so it is rarely an issue here. the quality is pretty good though except vertical banding on some things , even with the heat tape modification. i hear valuejets have vertical banding too though? i have never read a mimaki having that issue or a roland?

even though, i think $2000 is a little high for one that presently doesn't even work. print heads are $700-800 right? then you have to install the heads and make the machine work and it won't work without a RIP. i've seen them sold on this forum for $3000 in working order.

i just saw stealth ryder posted and he knows these machine well... so listen to him.

Last edited:

integritysigns

Seller says the printer works and offered to show me a print with the heads as is. Thanks stealth for the opinion on price. We are in the market for something under 3k and don't want something that is going to be a lump in the corner.

royster13

I often see these discussions about whether or not a certain price is a good price, however, I see little discussion about the cost of consumables...Any "math" has to take consumables into consideration.....Sometimes a printer that is "cheap" to buy is very expensive to operate...

luggnut

I often see these discussions about whether or not a certain price is a good price, however, I see little discussion about the cost of consumables...Any "math" has to take consumables into consideration.....Sometimes a printer that is "cheap" to buy is very expensive to operate...

that is exactly right... you'll need inks , but most of all you'll need vinyl rolls (maybe several different types) and banner material, or if you are like me , i stock photo paper, 2 sizes of banner, cast and calendered vinyl in 2 sizes..etc.. then i stock the laminates for cast and calendered. and i always keep an extra set of inks on hand. so to keep that printer running you have to have the things that will be in demand....

most shops spend thousands a month on this stuff...

Mosh

Extra set of ink on hand is a MUST, the rest you can get as you need starting out and stock what you find you use the most of. But yeah, you are going to need at least another minimum $1500 for starting supplies.

Stealth Ryder

Parts for that machine get higher and higher every month... Look for a VJ that someone has let go back from a Lease Company, you will be much better off...

integritysigns

I've priced inks, though I have no basis of comparison between brands, HP, Mimaki, Roland, etc so I'm open to opinions on cost between brands?

I've been watching online for about year now searching for reasonably priced solvent printers and this seemed like a good deal. Stealth you're saying it's way too high, but would I be able to get a valuejet even for $3k?

Where else could I look online for deals on used printers? I check digitsmith but man that place is so disconnected with people bringing back year old posts, people posting incomplete ads with no location or price, seems more tedious than it's worth and sometimes it seems like scammers or people that clearly only want to sell for "the right price" if they even reply.

Where do you find off lease printers?

Thanks for all the input!

luggnut

Stealth you're saying it's way too high, but would I be able to get a valuejet even for $3k?

You may not get a VJ for that price but Stealth is saying you would be better of spending a little more on a VJ

ProWraps

dont do it. that technology is soon to be 2 generations old. a used 1204 can be had in working order for not much more.

we started with one right when the vjs came out. that was almost two years ago. a lot has happened in two years.

a "lightly used" digital printer that is 5 years old, is a nightmare doorstop...

Headhunterx

dont do it. that technology is soon to be 2 generations old. a used 1204 can be had in working order for not much more.

we started with one right when the vjs came out. that was almost two years ago. a lot has happened in two years.

a "lightly used" digital printer that is 5 years old, is a nightmare doorstop...

That is totally UNTRUE!!! Old printers have their place if they are properly repaired and then taken care of. It takes very little maintenance if you adhere to a regular schedule And don't give people BS reasons for a 5 year old printer being a doorstop if you don't know what you are talking about. I just read a roland thread where a 40k printer is acting up and no one can figure it out so New does not always mean better and I have 4 older printers I run without problems everyday!!!

Richard

ProWraps

That is totally UNTRUE!!! Old printers have their place if they are properly repaired and then taken care of. It takes very little maintenance if you adhere to a regular schedule And don't give people BS reasons for a 5 year old printer being a doorstop if you don't know what you are talking about. I just read a roland thread where a 40k printer is acting up and no one can figure it out so New does not always mean better and I have 4 older printers I run without problems everyday!!!

Richard

sorry bud. but i had the exact printer in question. printers are meant to print. "lightly used" to me means it wasnt used much. the exact opposite of what i would want. i would rather had one that had gallons of ink run through it than "lightly used".

we replaced several heads, numerous other parts and sold it. like i said before, that is almost 3rd generation tech at this point. for that price, i wouldnt do it.

i wont even get into your "BS" reasons comment.

the printer already needs new heads (from being lightly used), which means chances are the lines are bad as well as may be the dampers.

im happy you seem to think you know what you are talking about, but i would suggest re-reading the original thread, couple it with owning the same printer in question, then form a bit more of an educated response.

Headhunterx

sorry bud. but i had the exact printer in question. printers are meant to print. "lightly used" to me means it wasnt used much. the exact opposite of what i would want. i would rather had one that had gallons of ink run through it than "lightly used".

we replaced several heads, numerous other parts and sold it. like i said before, that is almost 3rd generation tech at this point. for that price, i wouldnt do it.

i wont even get into your "BS" reasons comment.

the printer already needs new heads (from being lightly used), which means chances are the lines are bad as well as may be the dampers.

im happy you seem to think you know what you are talking about, but i would suggest re-reading the original thread, couple it with owning the same printer in question, then form your educated response.

I have owned several of the same printers (Falcon series) and unless you have completely rebuilt them as I have ( That means taken it down to the bare case and started over again ) don't assume I don't know what i am talking about and I have never seen but a few that couldn't be saved with a new set of heads capping station ,dampers, maybe a cable or 2 and a through cleaning "There You are Bud"

ProWraps

you may know your printer, but you clearly dont know sh*t about business "bud". and i wonder about your ability to read. $2k for a printer that needs new heads, may need the other parts you mentioned (as did i), doesnt come with a rip, goes faster uphill, and has a parts availability that is diminishing, is a bad deal.

keep fixing your dinosaurs, and let the op get the best advice he asked for (which everyone but you gave him). BAD DEAL.

Headhunterx

you may know your printer, but you clearly dont know sh*t about business "bud". and i wonder about your ability to read. $2k for a printer that needs new heads, may need the other parts you mentioned (as did i), doesnt come with a rip, goes faster uphill, and has a parts availability that is diminishing, is a bad deal.

keep fixing your dinosaurs, and let the op get the best advice he asked for (which everyone but you gave him). BAD DEAL.

I was not talking to the OP about spending 2K on a printer I was talking to you about your comment of 5 year old printers and go ahead and attack me I could care less !!! And I love your comment about "but you clearly dont know sh*t about business "bud". and i wonder about your ability to read." You really are a TRUE A$$ HOLE aren't you !! You Don't Know me so don't make personal attacks until you do I was only disagreeing with you comments but like in a lot of your replies here YOU KNOW IT ALL!! Don't reply you will just look like a bigger fool because I won't respond any more to You Have a nice life.

ProWraps

actually you called my advice bullsh*t. rather than post your opinion as i did, you made it personal.

i would much rather know it all (a bad deal when i see one), than play the dramatic victim.

to the OP. like i said before. bad deal. skip it, find a nice VJ 1204 with some working time on it, in working condition right off the bat, and forward this deal to headhunter.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Im with Pro Wraps, DONT BUY that unit its gonna cost you alot to get it rockin thats for sure especially with the head situation. Use the money as a down payment on a new machine.

You should really make a list of what type of signage you intend on selling and then go with a printer thats geared for those applications.