• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon + RJ-4100

Miket2424

Hi. I am a new member and I service printers through my business:
First let me say that I use forums and I am not one to shotgun questions just looking for an answer. If you can provide info for me, I will follow up with my results including pics, data etc.

What i am asking is for info on the Mutoh Falcon RJ-4100. I have a customer with a small printing business who has one that displays a "no cap position" error.

I'd like to get a service manual etc, and If anyone knows of a source or you have one, let me know. Thanks
-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

randya

I had one of these about 10 years ago.
I think this is a 'home' error.
There should be a menu item to set cap position (or Home position) in maintenance mode.

Miket2424

Is that, holding the three top buttons while powering up? I'll try it, report back the progress for future searches. Thanks

Miket2424

I set the home position by going into the service mode, selecting home and set position.

Now when we start the machine we have "undefined paper" on the display. I'm looking into this now.

Miket2424

Mutoh Falcon / Rockhopper repair project

I have posted before on this and I wanted to add some pics. The original problem was the "no home position" message which was reset by going into service mode (power on while holding top 3 keys), going to adj: home and setting the home position when the head was moved over all the way to the right.

Then the terrible "undefined paper" message would not allow me to get any further.

here is the printer:

Falcon_Rockhopper.JPG

The first step was to test the sensors. I went into service mode and chose exam ---> sensors ----> edge sensor.

I saw the display with a low number between 10-20.

Low_sensor.JPG

Then I placed a paper under the head.

paper_test.JPG

The sensor changed to this:

High_sensor.JPG

I then went to the exam category in the service mode of sensors----> Xr (for X plane Rear sensor)

Here it is:

Rear_sensor.JPG

This sensor read "off" and turned on when I placed a paper on top of it.

The final sensor is Xf (for X plane front) I can not see where this sensor is located, but according to the service manual, there is a connector on the main logic board. I will have to open up the lower control box and take a look to see if that sensor is connected.

I am going to update this as I progress, but if anyone has something they can add it would be great -Mike

Magnum Graphics

Were you able to get this thing running? I am seriously considering one of these Rockhoppers as my first machine. Would like to know if they can be fixed and kept alive for a few years more.

Thanks.

randya

this undefined paper error can occur when the room lights (or sunlight) artificially trigger the sensor.