• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh ink end

bovegas

I was printing banner and I got ink end error on my VJ1617H. Since I forgot to buy new ink pouch, I found old pouch with some ink left. So, I pulled ink with syringe and put in one that gave me error. I have not replaced chip card. After I plugged in error was gone. How is that possible? I thought this printer counts how much ink goes to print head. There is no sensor that checks weight or anything like that. Is there a maybe sensor that checks pressure maybe? Anybody have any idea? Because if I could do this I would just buy ink in bottles and fill pouches by myself. I bought this printer used. I dont think its unlocked, because it requires chip card to be inserted.

Umca

It has a sensor like a flag in plastic adapter for pouch. It goes out and press to InkEnd sensor when pouch is empty. Sometimes it erase ink volume on card, sometime not.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The flag sensor has 3 states. Not flagged which is pretty self explanatory. Near end which means is barely touching the sensor so it flags the card as near end. And then flagged which is fully pushed which will flag the card as empty. Once a card is empty, it's empty forever. Once a card is flagged near end, it can't go back to being full. The machine does predict how much ink flows through the head and updates the card so if your maintenance station is is acting up or old, it will not pull as much ink as predicted which will also cause a card to flag early. You can't use an unlimited bulk system on the machine unless you get Mutoh to turn off the card readers, which they only do on water based machines, of find someone to crack it for you. I can't remember off the top of my head if the 1614 could take the Mutoh 1000mL bulk system. If it can, you could also use aftermarket inks.

Also, pulling ink out of one cartridge to another can introduce air which can cause random issues. It's not the end of the world but if you get ink flow issues etc. I would suspect air in the cartridge in that case.

Umca

I can not agree with you. The InkEnd sensor is a micro-switch what just 2 state: opened or closed. So, it impossible to recognise ink near end or Ink end. When the flag touches the sensor, the ink counter on card reduces do 5%. After that it just count from this amount to zero. Then it says "InkEnd".

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I can not agree with you. The InkEnd sensor is a micro-switch what just 2 state: opened or closed. So, it impossible to recognise ink near end or Ink end. When the flag touches the sensor, the ink counter on card reduces do 5%. After that it just count from this amount to zero. Then it says "InkEnd".
You're right. The end is still the same though. The card can be updated by the switch or the firmware.

bovegas

It has a sensor like a flag in plastic adapter for pouch. It goes out and press to InkEnd sensor when pouch is empty. Sometimes it erase ink volume on card, sometime not.
Are you talking about regular cartridge? I know those have plastic piece that comes out. Mine has ink bag pouches that goes upside down. There is no any plastic piece that comes out. I can make photo tomorow, it would be better

Tomi G

Premium Subscriber
I have a small VJ-628x that I have metallic cart but it is out and I can not find anyone that sells silver which I really do not need, my white is also saying low. Is it possible to switch out the card from silver to a cleaner cart? or can I set machine up to have cleaner carts instead of the white and silver? I am sure that is a noob question but I am a noob when it comes to this printer...lol
Thanks for any suggestions you might have.