• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mutoh, is borderless printing conceivable?

sydpos

hello, i've had discussions recently with mutoh & a mutoh rep where it has been hypothesised that it may be possible to trick a 1624 or 1324 into printer the full width of the paper. Could any members with mutohs please consider if they think that could be practical & what difficulties or concerns may arise? Much appreciated, regards Adrian ps I want to print A2 posters, landscape, on a good value, poster like, polypropylene.

MikePro

yes, it is possible.
i've done this with my mimaki jv3, but i'd imagine any printer operates the same way.
the theory is, that, when you load material the printer scans the page width and this is the basis from which it prints.
therefore, all you have to do is "trick your printer" into thinking the media is wider than it actually is:

-you'll want to apply low-tack vinyl strips to the platen (or masking tape, must be white'ish... i've used post-it notes) undereath and just outside the print material to the width of the default margins of your print. takes some trial/error but you can dial it in.
-the printer then scans the media, and includes your strips into the overall width of the page that can be printed.
-you should be able to remove the strips after the initial setup/scan, but leaving the strips on during the print also allows to catch the ink that may wind-up on your platen, should the material drift during print.

sydpos

bleed tail & leading edge of print on 1624

Thanks Mike for your helpful response. This is the same as I have since been advised. However I the reseller isnt sure about the ability to trim the tail end of the posters and then the leading edge of the next poster. Caldera rip may support not others... tbc

Please could anyone with experience of using inbuilt sheet off/trimmer to cut print so as to make image bleed/borderless on the leading & trailing edge please advise of your success or otherwise (esp interested in rip software and mutoh 1624).

Greatly appreciate all input

regards
adrianjt