• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh-made PrismJet VJ48 from SignWarehouse

ajv

I'm thinking about purchasing a Mutoh-made PrismJet VJ48 from SignWarehouse and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it, good or bad. Thanks.

tsgstl

I have a valuejet and love it!!!
A few things you need to know.

1. 48" is absolutely perfect to work with. I think the size is the best but.... A LOT of material is catered to the more common 54" or larger that wont work with your 48" you can have things cut down but you willl have no use for 4-6" rolls of material sitting around plus a lot of places make you pay extra for splicing. Contact your local supply company, find a product you would like to use, see if they will hold 48" material for you so you have ez access to it. My local supply companies do this and most large vinyl companies actually do make 48" material you just wont see it in suppliers catalogs

2. Sign warehouse is not the best at support. I had 2 companies work against each other and I ended up getting about the same deal that signwarehouse was going to give. Plus local support.

lexsigns

Hi Ajv
I am looking into printers too
Does that one cut? What do they go for?
The local supplier I am working with has support and training, I would make sure who ever you buy from offers too!
Good luck :)

300mphGraphics

+1

I have a valuejet and love it!!!
A few things you need to know.

1. 48" is absolutely perfect to work with. I think the size is the best but.... A LOT of material is catered to the more common 54" or larger that wont work with your 48" you can have things cut down but you willl have no use for 4-6" rolls of material sitting around plus a lot of places make you pay extra for splicing. Contact your local supply company, find a product you would like to use, see if they will hold 48" material for you so you have ez access to it. My local supply companies do this and most large vinyl companies actually do make 48" material you just wont see it in suppliers catalogs

2. Sign warehouse is not the best at support. I had 2 companies work against each other and I ended up getting about the same deal that signwarehouse was going to give. Plus local support.

300mphGraphics

Also would add we ordered ours 3-15-10 Maintenance has been a breeze. Haven't changed a single part other than ink cartridges. Knock on wood. :)

tsgstl

had mine since December of 07 no problems
Opened so many doors for us. I'm sure others will disagree but I'm not a fan of print/cut machines. For one if one goes down I have the other. And for another reason I type this with both machines working making me $$$

300mphGraphics

If you're looking at one of their print/laminator/cutter packages, ask about up-sizing the cutter. I waste a lot of material because the 48" printer came with a 42" cutter. Drives me nuts and wastes a lot of time making sure my contour cut jobs will fit.

thewvsignguy

We have had our Mutoh 1204 for about a year now and love it's flexibility. Overall a great (in my opinion) printer matched with the Q54 cutter and Flexi 10 software/RIP.

The waste tray idea was not very well thought out though. A tube with a bottle would have been a better idea. Those pads will add up over time and we are replacing them once every 2 month or so.

We are now looking into a laminator because the way the business is heading but a great, easy to use and easy to maintain printer. I also add that SW has a very good tech support system that is worth it's weight in gold.

The 48" media is not really an issue any more because SW will cut/slit our rolls for $10 per roll and in any size we need.

300mphGraphics

On the waste tray, I just took the pad out. Tray still fills up and gets emptied with no splash or issues at all. Could throw a cotton pad in there if it makes you feel better, but not necessary IMO.

tsgstl

I got my original pad in there. Every once in a while I tilt it up and let it drain for 30 minutes or so. I honestly didn't even know where to get those pads. Its a waste tank so why do I care if it gets a neat and tidy pad.

edit: I see maybe signwharehouse has good support now. This was not the case when I got mine, or at least that is what EVERYBODY I talked to said. But this was all just hear say so I apologize for misleading the OP (if this is the case)

lexsigns

If you're looking at one of their print/laminator/cutter packages, ask about up-sizing the cutter. I waste a lot of material because the 48" printer came with a 42" cutter. Drives me nuts and wastes a lot of time making sure my contour cut jobs will fit.

good point! thanks!!! I do have a 24" and
48" plotter to use should the "new one" go down

thewvsignguy

On the waste tray, I just took the pad out. Tray still fills up and gets emptied with no splash or issues at all. Could throw a cotton pad in there if it makes you feel better, but not necessary IMO.

I hear of ways around it but I do try to keep everything clean or as clean as I can keep it. I think the 3 replacement pads from Fellers of SW are around $15 I buy 2 sets at a time just to have extras on hand. We had a issue with the funnel that the wasted ink traveled down to the waste tray getting clogged. What a mess, took me an hour to clean it all up, now I make sure the funnel is cleaned once a week.

I have no complaints about SW tech support. When we got the printer package we also got the priority support and always had questions or issues resolved within a few hours.

Jim Doggett

I hear of ways around it but I do try to keep everything clean or as clean as I can keep it. I think the 3 replacement pads from Fellers of SW are around $15 I buy 2 sets at a time just to have extras on hand. We had a issue with the funnel that the wasted ink traveled down to the waste tray getting clogged. What a mess, took me an hour to clean it all up, now I make sure the funnel is cleaned once a week.

I have no complaints about SW tech support. When we got the printer package we also got the priority support and always had questions or issues resolved within a few hours.

Thank you for the kind words, @thevwsignguy!

We work hard to support our customers, and while it created some glitches last month due to a switch in our computer system to a new Cloud-based solution, the investment is paying off. We're even more efficient, now, and we'll continue to invest in people and technologies that will enable us to better-serve our customers.

Moreover, we have people available, 7 days a week. We also have the most extensive online knowledgebase (www.signwarehouse.com/support) in the industry; even non-SignWarehouse customers access it. Plus our online community (www.signwarehouse.com/forums) is one of largest vendor-based forums in the industry, with paid staff moderation, 7 days a week. I daresay no other vendor has invested as heavily as we have, and we're continually monitoring and working to improve our support function.

Where we sometimes get a bad rap, I believe, is that good news travels at a slug's pace, while bad news moves at the speed of light. And being the largest equipment dealer in the US, if not the planet, means the few who do not receive instant solutions as a percentage, can seem like a lot of unhappy folks ... when in fact our satisfaction rate is in the high 90 percentile. (~97%) And our support manager is tasked with making it higher still.

OK; off my soap box. :)

Once again, many thanks for your words of support.

Best Regards,