• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh or Roland question.

Jim Hill

I need some postive advice.

Should I purchase a Mutoh printer or a Roland Versacamm?

Both printers appear to be great and I am just not sure which one to buy.

Please let me hear the postives and negatives of each.

I understand about needing a plotters for the Mutoh but I really need to know is one of these machines more reliable then the other?

Is one much more user friendly then the other?

I have a dealer near me that sells both and after looking at the printing for each I am just not sure which one to buy.

Thanks Jimbo

FatCat

Jim, if you do a search you will find numerous threads on this topic. You'll need to give more specifics as to how you will use the machine and the needs of your business. You also didn't say what size, and you also didn't say which model for the Mutoh.

FWIW - only you can ultimately decide which machine will work the best for you. Both machines are great and have a good reputation. However, they are very different since the Mutoh is a printer only and the Roland is a print & cut.

HaroldDesign

I've been using the VJ1604 Mutoh for about 2 years. Not one service call, broken part or problem that caused downtime. It's user friendly, but I will say that the manual sucks. There's a lot of options and things to improve speed and quality that only experience with the machine can it be discovered. Rolands are solid, but I went with the Mutoh and I'm glad I did.

graphixtogo

Both brands are great. When I weighed the choice between Roland (print and cut) and Mutoh (separate printer and cutter), I had to look at the type of work I do. Most of my jobs get laminated, so that means printing, removing material from the printer, laminating, and then returning the material to the machine for contour cutting. With the Mutoh/Graphtec combination, I could be contour cutting and printing at the same time, increasing productivity in the shop. Works great for me! :thumb:

Brandon708

Both brands are great. When I weighed the choice between Roland (print and cut) and Mutoh (separate printer and cutter), I had to look at the type of work I do. Most of my jobs get laminated, so that means printing, removing material from the printer, laminating, and then returning the material to the machine for contour cutting. With the Mutoh/Graphtec combination, I could be contour cutting and printing at the same time, increasing productivity in the shop. Works great for me! :thumb:
^That seems to be the biggest comp. between the two.
Also the Mutoh is available in a 64" where the Roland is not. If you are a sign company you should have a plotter for cutting vinyl anyways. So if it where me I might lean towards the Mutoh so I can keep the printer going. Also i hear that you need to let the ink completly dry and have the gasses escape before you cut on the Roland. If you dont you will get edge curl. So it seems that if you laminate or not it will take longer anyways.
-Good Luck!

edgegraphics

I would have to agree also with these post. I have a mutoh with a separate cutter and it is well worth the time in production to be able to be printing while you are laminating and cutting at the same time.

TheSellOut

Not to make your decision any harder but the Roland does have a "print only" in their line up now, the VersaArt, which is available in a 54" and 64"! I am struggling with the same decision you are, as I am looking to purchase my 1st printer! As of this minute, I am leaning towards the 54" Mutoh through N. Glantz & Son for they are not too far up the road and they have always been there for my business! Give me about 45 more seconds though and I will have a different idea of what I am getting!!

Jim Hill

Thanks for the great tips and advice.

Just wanted to thank you all for your tips and advice.

Both printers seem to be very good.

I guess it may come down to which one has the better price since both are serviced by my local dealer.

Jimbo

Jim Hill

OK I give up!!!!!

Between the Roland and the Mutoh which ones has the better printhead design and why?

Being new to this even if I looked at the print heads I still might not know why one is better then the other so I will ask the question.

Having looked at both printers and talked with people who own either the mutoh or the roland and each one seems happy with their choice.

I would be using the printer for small stickers that would be used outside.

One prints and cuts and one needs a cutter and I understand why someone who does a great deal of printing might want a separate cutter.

I am now spending between 2 and 3 thousand a year to have the stickers printed so I believe it's time to start thinking about either leaseing or purchasing a printer.

I have looked at between 5 and 12 used printers but they all have had different problems such has they needed new printheads or they had not been used in years and there was no way of doing a test print to see it they even work.

Other problem was even when I found a used one that did work and was in decent shape and was about 5 years old the cost of between $6,000 and $8,000 dollars which made it not make sense instead of just buying a new printer.

The last think I want to do is buying something and then have to start replacing the printheads.

Jimbo

heyskull

My friend who has another sign business has just upgraded from a Versacamm to a new Mutoh Valuejet 1614.
Now he knows why i rant and rave about our Valuejet.
He reckons it's twice as fast better quality and the prints are more scuff resistant than the Versacamm.

SC

Stealth Ryder

My friend who has another sign business has just upgraded from a Versacamm to a new Mutoh Valuejet 1614.
Now he knows why i rant and rave about our Valuejet.
He reckons it's twice as fast better quality and the prints are more scuff resistant than the Versacamm.

SC

I agree with this assesment...

TheSellOut

Jim, I want to make this as hard on you as it has been on me!!

There's at least one other printer that you should be considering for the money and thats the Epson GS6000 for $17,999 with rebates! From what I've personally seen and read the print quality is outstanding, near photographic, with the addition of green and orange inks....blowing away the competition! The only down fall I have heard of, is that it only boosts a 2 year unlaminated exterior life span compared to the 3 years of both the Mutoh & Roland. And yes, you will still need a seperate cutter.

And Then....The Revolutionary, ALL NEW, greener, HP Latex Printer which I've read posts on here that the print quality is pretty great and there's very very minimal VOCs!

Good Luck....I still haven't made a choice...But I am going to the USSC show in AC the first week of Dec to see 'em all 1st hand!!

Jim Hill

It is a tuff choice for sure.

I have heard from others that they feel the Mutoh Valujet is a better printer but!!!!!!!!!
I have also heard that many are not happy with Mutoh Customer Service or should I say the lack of it.

I also know that whatever printer I purchase the serivce is only has good had the local dealer but for the most part the people I have spoken with who purchased the Roland printer appear happy with their purchase and the service.

I wish I could find a decent used Versacamm printer for under $6,000 but that is not easy even with the times we are in.

When I look at a new Versacamm SP-300 for around $11,000 and the prices of the used printers between $7,000 and $9,000 dollars it almost make more sense just to get a new one.

The used printers are all between 3 and 5 years old and the last thing I want to do is purchase something that is going to need new printheads soon.

I would also like to find a leasing company that could keep the payments between $200.00 and $240.00 a month.

Since I am new to this I know it would be smart to just lease a new printer and let them come out and set it up and walk me through the process a few times.

Thanks for all the great advice. Jimbo