• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Printer Error - "no Media" When There Is Media

Alexandra Lewis

Hi guys,
This is my first time using Signs101 and I am kinda in a huge jam.
I have a Mutoh VJ 628 printer, and today 2 error messages came up that I have no idea how to fix.
In my Valuejet Status Monitor it says:
"No Media"
"S/C Card Error No: 56"

I have a new roll of media in the printer (have only printed 20 inches of it), and have tried turning every thing off and on.

I'm at a huge loss, and would really appreciate anyones knowledge on these two matters.
Thanks!!
Alexandra

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
No Media: This usually occurs because the sensor that tells the printer if there is media loaded or not gets exposed to light. Normally the vinyl covers the sensor and so it thinks it's loaded. On your machine the sensor should be located on the back or center platen. It will look like an oval hole in the platen. If it's not covered, that's your problem. Load the material so that it always covers that hole. It can also trip the sensor if the media pops up a little and allows light underneath the media and into the sensor. Make sure the media is rolling smoothly from the media holder to the printer. Sometimes the sensor is just too sensitive. I don't have time to go into how to adjust it but a quick fix is to put tape over the sensor. That is simply a field tech tip and Mutoh does not recommend it but many people do it.

S/C Card Error: The printer is failing to read the smart card on the ink cartridge. If you haven't tried yet, take the cartridges out and reinstall them. Sometimes the reader and the card don't line up quite right and it just needs to be reset. Otherwise, this normally happens due to defective cards on the cartridges and not defects in the printer but it can be an electrical failure which would need to be looked at by a tech. The easiest way to test it is to call your ink supplier and tell them you think the cards are defective. They should be able to get you replacements. If they won't work with you, call Mutoh and tell on them.

PBVinyl

From my experience with owning a 628x

The no media thing happened to me as well. Take a cleaning swab with ISO on it, and wipe the bottom of the media eye. For some reason, gunk builds up in there (including when there's no media and it goes into a clean cycle while in sleep).

S/C card error - Chances are that channels 5/6 are your LcLm? Do you have a cleaning cartridge in those channels trying to run straight 4 channel CMYK? I know mine doesn't like running in anything but 7/8 channel where it can flush the expensive white and metallic inks as quick as possible. Changing to 6 channel (CMYKLcLmClCl) was a pain in the butt that required more BS than I'd care to admit.

0igo

same thing over here the way you fix it is you cover up the sensor.
instructions: walk to the back side of the printer, there is a little sensor right in the middle of the printer. Get a small piece of white vinyl lay it upside down on the over the sensor and tape it down. now turn on your printer and it see if it detects vinyl (you will get an error saying no media found AFTER it scans for the material)

Alexandra Lewis

Thanks so much you guys! This has fixed my "No Media" issue, and it seems the S/C card error is because of old cards from my ink supplier (third party ink) so I will try get some different ink. This forum has been great :)

heyskull

You can sometimes get the S/C card error due to bent pins on the card readers.
Most of my time has been spent on the larger valuejets but it looks as if yours uses a similar cartridge/card system this may also be an issue.

sc

blingdat

I just got a mutoh 628X and just got the no media error today. Covering my sensor is not working, ughhh. I hate to wait to Monday to call tech support. Any other suggestions?

WalkerTrio

From my experience with owning a 628x

The no media thing happened to me as well. Take a cleaning swab with ISO on it, and wipe the bottom of the media eye. For some reason, gunk builds up in there (including when there's no media and it goes into a clean cycle while in sleep).

S/C card error - Chances are that channels 5/6 are your LcLm? Do you have a cleaning cartridge in those channels trying to run straight 4 channel CMYK? I know mine doesn't like running in anything but 7/8 channel where it can flush the expensive white and metallic inks as quick as possible. Changing to 6 channel (CMYKLcLmClCl) was a pain in the butt that required more BS than I'd care to admit.
How do you get to the sensor , my Vj628 has a clear cover over the opening.