• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh SC-1400D not sensing pinch rollers!

randya

If it hasnt started transfering firmware you should be safe to try and restart.

You may want to unplug the cutter for a few minutes and try again.

Make sure you have the right port # per the instructions.

Signsforwhile

THE BELT SLIPPED!!! It must be it!!!! If i position the pinch rollers slightly to the right of the grid roller it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK....so now how do i adjust the belt back??

Graphics2u

I'm wondering if there is a way to reset the home position of the cutter head? That would make more sense than the belt having to be in a certain spot on the pulley. Ask Mutoh about that.

Signsforwhile

Update: it's definitely the belt. I readjusted the belt on the gear that it sits on a couple of teeth and it's behaving a little better, but still not perfect. There must be a way to reset the location of that carriage without having to do this. What is done when the belt is removed for service or replacement? I don't see any marks on the belt to line it up on the gear.

randya

There is nothing to line up, the encoder is in the drive motor.
Perhaps if the belt is stretched it could affect the encoder counts, as it appears to count from home position to where it thinks the roller should be.

I am told it could be motherboard, firmware or ???

Were you able to reinstall firmware?

Graphics2u

Maybe the encoder in the motor is messed up?

Randya - Sohow does the machine know where the home postion should be if there aren't timing marks or a way to reset the home postion?

randya

It could be the encoder or something on the motherboard, or hopefully just firmware.

I am not certain, but assume that the encoder counts from the home position.
And it appears to find the home position, as it will cut narrow material. So it is finding the first two rollers, if my understanding is correct, but it will not locate the 3rd in it's normal detent position.

Which would indicate lost counts or the movement is not what it should be.
That is why I am hope a firmware reinstall may be able to reset every thing and recover tracking.

If not, perhaps the belt is stretched just enough so that it is off just enough to miss the last hold down roller.

Minus that, it could be a component on the mainboard that is loosing count.

Really hard to say from here.

SE SignSupply

Take a look at the broken pulley below. It's from a Graphtec FC-7000 that had the exact same problem as you have.

To diagnose, hold the speed reduction pulley (the larger pulley on the shaft), and try to move the cutting carriage. If the cut carriage moves but the speed reduction belt does not it's broken on the shaft.

Took us hours to find the problem but was very clear once the pulley was removed.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 84

Signsforwhile

Update.......................................

STILL A PROBLEM. I had to walk away from this issue because of two large projects we had going on the past couple of weeks. Thankfully they didn't require cut vinyl. I'm still where I left off. Today I succesfully updated the Firmware and still nothing. Mutoh wants me to send it in. At $175 per hour plus parts plus shipping this is going to be an expensive repair....

Graphics2u

Thinking of ordering a new motor if thats where the encoder is.
I would definately try that first. I sent mine in about 2 years ago and it cost me over $1800 bucks by the time I had shipping and labor added to the $225 Feed motor. Plus I was without it for 3 weeks!

Signsforwhile

$562.50 for the new motor. I'm figuring that there is a 75% chance that this is the problem. But if it isn't I'm stuck with a brand new motor and encoder I didn't need...

SE SignSupply

Take a look at the broken pulley below. It's from a Graphtec FC-7000 that had the exact same problem as you have.

To diagnose, hold the speed reduction pulley (the larger pulley on the shaft), and try to move the cutting carriage. If the cut carriage moves but the speed reduction belt does not it's broken on the shaft.

Took us hours to find the problem but was very clear once the pulley was removed.

Did you check this? I highly doubt it's the motor unless the machine has been used heavily.

Graphics2u

The only thing that doesn't seem like the encoder in the motor is that it finds the first pinch roller and not the other two. If the encoder was bad I would think it would not be finding any of them.

Signsforwhile

The only thing that doesn't seem like the encoder in the motor is that it finds the first pinch roller and not the other two. If the encoder was bad I would think it would not be finding any of them.

it is seeing the rollers. it just thinks they're in the wrong place. right now i have a 24" roll loaded and some how it's working. but if i was to put a 48" inch roll in, then the left most position doesn't work, unless i move the pinch roller over to the right an inch or two, at which point the vinyl wont move!....