• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Toucan Irrational Printing

mtbaker42

Hi All,

I have a Mutoh Tucan LT 87". I have been battling a problem with yellow and sometimes black printing where it should not print; therefore ruining prints. It seems to be completely random (at least the yellow is). And of course, I've got a bunch of banners to get done.

-Dampers have ink
-No air appearing in ink lines (have sucked out a couple times)
-I cleaned the docking station & printheads
-Cleaned the encoder strip and this seemed to help for about 6 linear feet, but now it is back.
-Bought the machine used 8 months ago (I know, not the best idea) and have not replaced any printheads as of yet, so not sure what a bad head looks like. Is this head bad?

I've attached a couple pics. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• Black.jpg
    Black.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Yellow.jpg
    Yellow.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 73
  • Yellow2.jpg
    Yellow2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 77

Graphics2u

That's got to be a electrical problem. Could be a head or a ribbon cable, but I hate to say it, I have seen some nozzle check pictures posted here that looked like the same type of problem and it turned out to be a mainboard.

Isn't that a eight head machine? If so, can you determine which head is giving you the yellow problem? If you can you can swap the ribbon cables to the heads from one head to another and see if the problem follows the cable or stays with the head. Remember to unplug machine and press the power button to drain off residual power before changing anything.

That would be a starting place.

mtbaker42

This is a six color machine.

I replaced the ribbon cable to the yellow head. Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have thought of that. So far that seems to have solved it. So far...

Thanks again!