• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Ultima SC-1400D cutter?

FatCat

Came across a seemingly good deal on a used Mutoh Ultima SC-1400D cutter to match up with my VJ-1204. Anyone have some detailed info. on these cutters? Are they a unique Mutoh-made cutter, or are they a cutter that Mutoh had someone else make? (I have heard Summa put these together for Mutoh.) Curious about tracking, accuracy and of course reliability.

*I plan on using Wasatch to do the contour cutting and it looks like this printer is supported by their software. Anyone have any first hand experience with using this cutter with Wasatch Softrip?

Lastly, I'm curious as how these work for straight vinyl cutting. Would be nice to sell my Roland if this will do both my contour cutting and regular vinyl work.

Thanks for any help! :U Rock:

HaroldDesign

That's the cutter I use. It works great! The accuracy is very nice, and it's very simple to use. It has a couple quarks (everything does), but nothing to worry about. I use Onyx, so I can't say anything about using it with Wasatch. I think you'd love it!

heyskull

We have a VJ 1604 and a SC-1400D
The only problem we have had with it is it can sometimes really c**k up reading the reg lines and completley destroy a print and cut job. Which can be expensive.
We also had an issue with it reading reg marks when there is bright sunlight outside!!!!
The adjustable vinyl clamps are way over sensitive and can be a complete nuisance to set up.
The quality is OK but can't match our old Graphtec on quality, speed and tracking.
I love the way it rolls out its own vinyl.
I was told after we bought the machines that the Summa range was a better plotter!

SC

msenjur

we also have ultima sc-1400d.

It cuts contour cutting pretty ok! i alwas cut one peace, to make sure that positioning is ok, and then move lines in software (easysign)... when that is set, it works ok! Sometimes it also do some wrong cutting, but not so often, that it would be a big problem!

Im having constant problem with cuttin normal vinly. If i cut small letters, sometimes they are really ugly. Roundings aren't nicley rounded...
The tech guy told me, that each vinyl should have its own settings - Force and how deep does knife cut into vinyl... But so far, i havent mange to discover these settings! :)

luckly we have our good old roland camm-1 for such jobs.

heyskull

I couldn't live with the racket a camm-1 makes!
I have 2 of them under the bench at work gathering dust.

As for cutting small stuff.
I have found that on the mutoh plotter it is very fusy about the offset and you have to do a test cut to check that it is set right.
The speed is set at about 50cm/s I have no idea what you could cut at 100cm/s.
It seems pointless being able to make the machine able to run so fast as nothing will cut at that speed!
Our machine seems to eat cutting mats although we are just cutting normal vinyl and certainly not cutting to deep also we don't use the cut off feature as that really destroys the mat.

msenjur

really? our camm-1 is cutting perfect! it is a slow machine, but for small stuff it is ok! Now, when it is getting old, it sometimes got crazy, if we cut something with a lots of info!

On ulitma, i usually cut with 20cm/s! yeah, offset is always a problem! Also cutting mat... ours is also very cut up...

randya

It cuts contour cutting pretty ok! i alwas cut one peace, to make sure that positioning is ok, and then move lines in software (easysign)... when that is set, it works ok! Sometimes it also do some wrong cutting, but not so often, that it would be a big problem!

Im having constant problem with cuttin normal vinly. If i cut small letters, sometimes they are really ugly. Roundings aren't nicley rounded...
The tech guy told me, that each vinyl should have its own settings - Force and how deep does knife cut into vinyl... But so far, i havent mange to discover these settings! :)

The blade depth should be set so that it only cuts the vinyl and not the paper.

Force is how much pressure is applied, this can be set either on the front panel or in the rip.

You will need higher Force, for laminated media or 6 mil media than for 2 mil media.

Speed is how fast the media is moved, you can cut 2-3 mil vinyl at max speed.

Acceleration is how fast the media speed ramps up.
Too fast acceleration and the blade will lift in the corners leaving the corners uncut.

For laminted media, you will have to increase the knife depth (media + laminate= thicker than unlam), decrease the speed to keep the knife from lifting, and decrease acceleration.

There are two alignments - EPOS (electronic positioning) and offset ( to compensate for the angle of the knifeblade). Both of these are in the manual and are necessary for correct positioning and clean cuts.

msenjur

yes, i use EPOS! just did some contour cutting - 14cm/s, 188g force. It cut it out just fine! Problems are small letters...

I know that vinyl has its own setting... i should try all, and write them down!

randya

In small letters the offset is critical.
If the offset is off, cuts will not be closed.

I typically run 75 for speed 100 for force and 1.5 for accelleration.

This should work fairly well for color vinyl, you might want to slow it down a bit for small lettering,

I believe your high force may be causing some of your issues.

hello i have this cutter but doesnt read the reg marks on flexi, everything else is magnific,, could yuo help us?