• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mutoh Ultima SC1400-D Unusual Eratic Cutting

IanZane

I'll Stick, Spray or Paint Anything!
Hello to All,
Well I'm back here at this forum to see if anyone reading this might have an idea as to why my Mutoh Ultima SC1400D cutter is producing inconsistent pressure during a plot, "picking" the vinyl and other anomalies. Let's see if I can once again stump everyone with this one. 277 views and no responses on my last post I believe. I did end up finally finding a substitute cut mat strip for any plotter that had a track width of 8mm width. All I had to do was cut the length to the length of the track the mat sits on. There aren't any NOS mat strips for this machine available through any of the dozen and a half or so distributors I called at the suggestion of Mutoh America
So here's my conundrum. I have been employed at this company for a couple months now, and was basically given the keys to an office that contains a computer and the standard peripherals, plus a Mutoh ValueJet 1604A and a Mutoh Ultima SC-1400D combo for print/cut. Well it seems Mutoh doesn't play well with others. I've never experienced such frustration in getting to know equipment. Summa, Roland, Mumaki, Epson, Gerber, and many other names I've worked through the years. I was given the quick "2 minute drill" rundown on them before my predecessor retired and beat feet home. He didn't even run a sample to show me how it works. No print, No cut. Ok I say, No problem. I'll pick it up quick, and figure it out. Always have. All pretty similar. So I have been familiarizing myself with the Mutoh menus and it's characteristics, however some of the plot cut results leave me perplexed and baffled.
First example, I was cutting a standard 10 digit phone number, san serif bold, about a foot tall, 7' long, out of white intermediate vinyl. When I weeded it out, some lines, straight and curved did not cut through the vinyl, like more pressure or force needed to be applied. And some cut perfect. But cutting the number 8, and only the outside bottom right path from the very bottom, up the right side to where it meets the top outside curve, it cut through vinyl and backing. Glad I was watching because I had to help shuffle the vinyl through the cutter so it wouldn't jam till finished. I have photos in my system of these problems, but not sure how to upload using a URL on this post. Now I've researched this and everything points to replacing the plotters cut mat strip. I've read that a worn out cut strip can cause al kinds of irrational results when cutting vinyl. But the results of the cut doesn't make sense to me to believe the cut mat strip was the problem. I replaced it anyway last week. It couldn't hurt and it needed it anyway.
Ok, next.... I set up a little test cut in flexi with a 1" square, a star inside that and circle in the middle of the star. To make sure force and speed are correct for my job I sent to the printer and is in the queue to cut. This project requires I print, laminate and contour cut a quantity of 52 logos, 4.5" long x 3.5" high, asymmetrical. In production manager, I set up columns of 6 high and 9 rows across. Plenty of extra room for the plotter to read registration marks and cut no problem. So in order to make sure the plotter is going to perform its best, I want make sure all settings are optimal, therefore I am doing this test cut.
Since my project is laminated, printed vinyl, my test cut is on a piece of laminated scrap vinyl. Here's the problem. It seems the blade is "picking" the vinyl either where the blade enters the vinyl or when it lifts the blade out. Looks like little mountains sticking up. Feels rough when you run your hand across it. I've changed the blade, brand new. I've lowered the speed on the machine to 10cms. Force is set to 210g. The results are a terrible test cut. Some parts are cut into the backing, some not cut through at all, and it looks like a ragged cut. So I'm not sure which way to go on my force pressure setting. I have done about a dozen test cuts with both the standard default in the plotter and the one I set up earlier. Now I've noticed that at the end of some of the test cuts, the blade housing is in the up position, but the blade itself slid out and is touching the vinyl. Creating another problem, dragging the blade across the vinyl, scarring it between cuts. I have pulled the housing out and adjusted the blade within the holder several times. I've tried pulling the blade out, and it seemed seated properly. Test cut..... blades slid out and is touching vinyl.
One more odd plot on a contour cut job I experienced a couple weeks ago. 24 logos printed and laminated, I laid out 3 wide across printer width, and 3 columns of 8 tall. I setup up duplicates in Flexi's Production Manager to send to printer. Print looks great with registration printed around it with plenty of room for contour cut. Laminate. Set up Ultima with the print. Hit release to send to cutter. It reads registration marks and starts cutting. Here's what I don't understand. The column on the right side, closest to origin, cut right where it should have. The middle column, the cut shifted a 1/4" to the right. The left column the cut was further off, at a 1/2". I double check all settings before sending a print. I don't get it.
I know this machine is ancient. It's not supported by any distributors, or even Mutoh America itself. But its what I have to work with. And I have to work these kinks out soon. I need to start being productive here. I feel like banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out! We are updating the design computer next week with the latest CPU, GPU lots of RAM, etc.... Networking everything and updating software too. But I think I'm stuck with this Mutoh pair for awhile. I'm just hoping that we can get along here. If you have read this through, know a little about Mutoh, or have experienced any or all of these issues, Please, Please! Let me know something. I am working towards the day, hopefully, when all my peripherals, Mutoh pair too, work as expected and I can count on it. If you have any input, I really would appreciate it. Thanks

heyskull

What speed and pressure settings do you have?
What programme are you printing and plotting from? (such a long post and so little time to read it).?

SC

IanZane

I have this printer and plotter I can help.

SC
Thanks Heyskull,
New blade now. Cutting laminated vinyl (intermediate). I had to order a new spring for this cutter, just got it in. But I still had a hard time setting up the pressure before. Speed was dropped to 12 or 14. Pressure setting was difficult to determine which way to go. It would not cut thru the vinyl and then thru vinyl and backing too in the same path. Corners were "picked" or sticking up, rough feeling. So while making adjustments a week and a half ago, thought I clean blade and housing. Spring shot off somehow when I was trying to put it back together. That's why I haven't check this thread in a bit. Busy else where.
But I really appreciate any tips, tricks, info on this pair. I've worked many different printers/plotters over my 29 years in signs and graphics, and I have never had such a hard time getting a machine to work great for me. I have to use them together for my contour cuts. I also replaced the cutting mat strip on the SC1400D. I read many post that said a worn strip would cause erratic or unexpected cuts. And it has on just cutting laminated vinyls. A phone number I was cutting a week before had the #8 in it. When it was cutting the outside path, 3/4 was ok cut, but bottom right cut thru backing too. So I haven't had the chance to even see if the cutter strip was a major problem, (really doubt it would have). But I cant see it being the culprit in a lot of jobs I sent to it, like the #8. Doesn't make sense. I'm trying to fine tune this machine. I know its old but I personally have a Summa D-610 I bought in '94 that still cuts vinyl great. Never replaced anything other than a fuse and blades. For the Mutoh I have 45 degree blades for normal vinyls and 60 degree blades for laminated prints. I'm putting this blade and spring into the holder tomorrow morning and giving it a whirl. Fingers crossed. Looking forward to hearing from you and ANY advice, settings, info you may have Thanks

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
I used to have a graphtec. Ran into a few "I have never seen that before" problems. Turned out the tool that holds the blade was worn. Replaced and worked like a charm again.

IanZane

I used to have a graphtec. Ran into a few "I have never seen that before" problems. Turned out the tool that holds the blade was worn. Replaced and worked like a charm again.

I can't recall the housing being loose in the carriage. I'm gonna check it out when I get back in shop. I'll keep you posted.

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
The actual tool or blade holder. I replaced that to resolve one issue. I was getting wonky curves. There was play and the blade was sliding in its holder. Another time the actual carriage was loose. Grab it and see if there is any wobble. There should not be any.

IanZane

Now this blade holder is not like the "normal" type. Where its usually just unscrew or screw the blade adjuster to remove and replace a blade. This Mutoh blade housing is a 2 piece unit. It contains the blade of course, a very small brass "donut" or bushing and very small spring. All having to be put together in the correct order, with good eyesight or a magnifying glass, and tweezers are helpful too. I believe the bushing is set closest to the cutting end and then the spring slides over blade and butts to the bushing. It still seems like I could fine tune it better, but have done all the settings like force, speed, offset, etc...so maybe the plastic black holder has some play in it needs to be replaced. I do like the blade housing for my Summa much better. Screw and unscrew, simple. Thanks for the info Rockz12

ofiexpertos

I have this printer and plotter I can help.

SC
Hello, I have an SC1400D, but when I try to locate the paper, once I lower the lever, the paper exits very fast. and after 1 minute ejecting paper, it makes a diagonal cut in 1 inch of movement while the paper exits.

Can you help me?.

Where can I find the firmware and how to reload it?.

Thanks in advance, it's very difficult to find information about this model.