• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh ValueJet and Graphtec

Jim Doggett

... Creating useful contour cuts on bitmaps is trying at first, but becomes much easier ...

In my experience, some node/path tweaking is always needed when creating cut-paths around bitmapped images. But I use either CorelDRAW or Photoshop to do most of the heavy lifting.

CorelDRAW: I use Trace Bitmap, and then ungroup/break apart/weld to turn the trace results into an outline. Here's the result on a 100 dpi image using the default, quick trace option in DRAW X3:
corel_trace.jpg

Photoshop: magic wand-select the elemenets you want (or the background and then invert selection), and then create a path from the selection. Depending on the image, choosing a tollerance of between 0.5 and 1.0 usually come pretty close without too many jaggies. Always use the Make Work Path from the menu so you can adjust tollerance:
make_path.jpg

Then export paths to Illustrator and import the outline into Corel, Flexi or whatever you use to combine print-cut graphics. Here's the path using a 0.9 tollerance and then imported into Corel:
photoshop_path.jpg

My $0.02, if others have tricks for creating cut-lines around bitmaps, please contribute.

Best Regards,

Jim

About the same as I do Jim. I posterize and trace the bitmap to 2 color (black and white), weld it, then cut the resulting vector image outline, layered over top of the original bitmap jpeg etc. etc.