• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Valuejet Service Contract Question

heyskull

We have a rebranded Valuejet 1604 it is coming up to 1 year old and comes out of warranty in a months time.
We have been given a rather high price to put this into a service contract (which doesn't include the printhead!).
The question is, is it worth it or should I just service the machine myself.
It has run for the last year without a hiccup.
All the pumps and stuff come up new.

Sean

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
We have a rebranded Valuejet 1604 it is coming up to 1 year old and comes out of warranty in a months time.
We have been given a rather high price to put this into a service contract (which doesn't include the printhead!).
The question is, is it worth it or should I just service the machine myself.
It has run for the last year without a hiccup.
All the pumps and stuff come up new.

Sean

All a service contract is is a bet that you will do less violence to your machine than the cost of the service contract. Moreover, no one is doing you any favors by offering you a service contract.

Notwithstanding the standard litany of horror stories wherein having a service contract saved someone's bacon. For every incident of salvation there are multitudes that did not have any problems. Just like buying a lottery ticket, you might win a million but in order for you to do so there are tens of millions that also paid their money won squat.

In general you're money ahead to deal with any problems on a time and materials basis and hedge that by learning to do your own maintenance. It's not rocket science. Just look at the specimens you hire to do maintenance. If it were difficult they couldn't do it. With this philosophy you might lose a fight or two but you'll win the war.

jiarby

If extended warranties were such a good deal for the buyer then they wouldn't sell them. The fact is that it is a actuarial exercise, like insurance. Sell alot of policies, don't cover much, and deny as many claims as you can.

DPD

If you have the time and ability to fix the machine or replace the parts then you don't need a service contract.

Here's another take on it: if you are the only one in your shop and if your fixing the printer you're not only NOT making digital signs your now NOT making any signs because your busy fixing your machine.

It's really a cost/benefit analysis in the end.

heyskull

Rebranded as it is a Uniform Lancer which means they painted it blue!!!!

So is it worth taking a contract out?

We bought this as a bundle with a plotter and laminator.
Last month the plotter died and it took the company that is offering the service contract 3 weeks to come out and repair it!
So it doesn't look I will be going with them anyway.
I am very versed in repairing machinery like this so I could do the maintenance.

Sean

Valentino

NO PRINTHEAD, NO DEAL.

The mutoh service contract from cal-graph here in the U.S. allows for one new printhead every year, and the service costs about $2,500usd a year.

A new printhead costs $1,500usd, so when you figure the replacement and the service , 2500 is a good deal.

Without the printhead, the warranty isn't that great.