• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Valuejet & Signlab 7.1 Print & Cut

jjh781

Does anyone use a mutoh valuejet printer with signlab? I just got the printer and am having trouble getting it hooked up to run from signlab 7.1 Cadlink tells me if I can't get it on my own the only thing I can do is Spend $1000 to Udgrade to there newest version to get support.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I installed the mutoh 4 color printer module that came with my signlab program. I hooked it up using an ethernet cable, and entered the matching tcp/ip address off the printer and into the printer setup area on signlab.

Thanks,
Jason

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's most likely a network issue. What operating system are you using? Are you hooked up directly from the computer to the printer or through a router/switch?

jjh781

I'm on windows XP still.(old I know but I've never needed anything newer yet) I'm hooked directly to the computer

papabud

Lone Wolf
Not sure how you have it wired in. I have the Mutoh 1304 and i can not run it through my normal network. To get mine to work i had to install a second network card in my pc and run a network patch cable to the printer. And then manually assign network settings on both ends.

jjh781

I just plugged it direct from my printer to the computer, the location of the printer doesn't have the internet, so I don't have a router or anything else there. Maybe my problem is they can't be plugged in direct?? I saw someone on another post i was reading talk about the light on the back of the computer when you plug the ethernet cable in. the light does not come on with the printer plugged in, but does if it is plugged into somewhere with an internet connection.

papabud

Lone Wolf
plugging it in direct will work. but you need the right cable. you can not use a normal ethernet cable. it needs to be a "patch" cable. they have 2 wires switch positions on it.
Then you need to go in and manually set your ip and subnet mask numbers on both the computer and printer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
With windows XP you need to use a crossover cables AKA patch cable. Then you need to setup the network to connect as follows:

The first 3 set of numbers in the IP address need to be the same for the printer and computer and the last number needs to be different.

Example:

Computer IP - 192.168.1.20
Printer IP - 192.168.1.253 (Default Mutoh IP Address but can be changed on the printer)

In your software you just put in the printer's IP address and it should work. If any of the first three sets of numbers don't match, it won't work. If the last number is the same, it won't work. I am willing to be that your computer's IP address is not set to the default 192.168.1 which is why it is not connecting.

d fleming

As much as I love signlab their support sucks. Do not under any circumstance let anyone from there take remote control of your machine. It took me three weeks to undo the damage their dipstick did and cost me 75$ for the service. Not to mention he could not successfully hook my printer to their program. They could have but it wasn't worth their time apparently to write a patch. Their new techs have no clue how to work on their older versions so all they want is to sell you an upgrade.

jjh781

Thank You everyone. I just checked the cable I bought says it is a "patch cable" so hopefully that works. I will try all of your suggestions tonight, I'm thinking You are correct that I have the IP address wrong. I didn't know the last digit needed to be different.

Fingers crossed!!

Jason

jjh781

Sorry, one more thing How should I set the subnet mask address on both the printer & computer? Same Numbers? same with last digit changed like IP address?

jjh781

Thank you all so much, got the ip & subnet correct, and was up and printing tonight.

you guys are awesome!!

heyskull

As much as I love signlab their support sucks. Do not under any circumstance let anyone from there take remote control of your machine. It took me three weeks to undo the damage their dipstick did and cost me 75$ for the service. Not to mention he could not successfully hook my printer to their program. They could have but it wasn't worth their time apparently to write a patch. Their new techs have no clue how to work on their older versions so all they want is to sell you an upgrade.

So glad to hear you have signlab now printing.

On a further note Signlab has changed very little over the years and still (even the latest version) is a 32 bit program which can run one processor only!
All signlab has really done is that it can run adobe plug-ins, which is really lame having to use other peoples effects to run your
program.

Also.... Signlabs RIP is absolute rubbish and takes an enormous amount of work and time to print anywhere near the colours it should.
Personally I design in Signlab and print to Wasatch RIP.

SC