• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh ValuJet Leaving Purple streaks

FTG

Our printer is leaving purple streaks across everything white on the print, we switched to a different ink after sign warehouse assured us that there wouldn't be any difference and this started happening around the time we switched. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Stealth Ryder

Sounds like you have some cross-contamination going on, Is the Check Nozzle Pattern correct?

or/and

You have some "fuzzies" hanging off the bottom of the Print Head and need to clean it...

FTG

I'm not sure if it happened when we did switch or not, I'm trying to remember, our rep there reassured us numberous times we wouldnt see a difference and we finally tried it, but I don't think she knew what she was talking about. Evidently.

tsgstl

A pic would help

It could be threads hanging off of the print head
free up the head and move it over to the right where you can see light under it. If you see threads hanging down then there is your answer. Banner material is especially bad for causing this problem.

FTG

We already cleaned out the bottom of the print head, I'm pretty positive its got to be the ink, I'll have to have a chat with our SWH rep.

FTG

IF we can get the SWI cleaning cartridges to take (keeps giving the dreaded "not original" message even though they are Mutoh cartridges) do I have to go to a particular setting in the menu for the printer to perform the complete cleaning with the cartridges? Good luck finding this information in the Mutoh book, or even the website......

tsgstl

I have never had luck with those cartridges helping with any problem.

I'll say it again, a pic of your problem couldn't hurt in getting a answer

FTG

In some spots its leaving streaks, like there's something stuck under the print head, but thats cleaned out. In other spots theres almost a "bleeding" look smeared across it.

Attachments

• Clark-20120227-00085.jpg
    Clark-20120227-00085.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 55

tsgstl

It's hard to tell from my phone what's going on.
If you think it's something dragging across it, then most likely it is.
Check the entire bottom of the carriage. Print the same thing with your print head raised. If its worse when it's down then it's got to be a foreign object brushing against the vinyl. Usually stuff brushing against the vinyl is black because it's soaking up all colors. Good luck, post what happens in case anyone else has this problem.

Stealth Ryder

I am more interested in the Check Nozzle Pattern. Are the 4 colors correct and do you see the the streaks in this this Test Print. If you have 2 channels of CMYK this would rule out cross contamination, If you see the streaks you have something hanging from the bottom of the Print Head... What you are describing is different issues... Do you have good ink-flow to the waste container?

FTG

Finally got it. Soaked the head for an hour and a half, did the stong cleaning twice and ran a couple of test prints and all looked good. Ran the first half of the wrap and it did a nice job.

I need a beer.....