• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ-1204 Printhead replacement or rehab? (DX5)

garrettdelano

I'd like to start by thanking everyone in advance. This forum has been an invaluable resource to me over the last year.

Now, onto the good stuff. I have a Mutoh VJ-1204 with a DX5 print head. The print head is clogged and I have a few options. First is to get a new head, I have no idea where I would get a compatible certified new print head that won't give me a lot of trouble. The second option is to try to recover the head, so far I have been unsuccessful. How would you recover a head that had been sitting for two years? Third option is to rip the head out of a sublimination printer such as the Epson R1900 which has the same print head. I have one available to purchase for $350 in my area. What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Thank you again

FatCat

First, I have both a 1204 and a 1604. I have been told by a very good source that the head in them is indeed a solvent version not the same as a DX5 waterbased printer head. If you use a water-based DX5 it will work OK for a month or so until the solvent eats out the channels and the head will develop leaks. (Again, this is what I have been told by a person I feel very confident in saying wouldn't lie to me.) Luckily, the 1204, 1304, 1604 units can all use the generic (cheaper) version of the DX5 solvent head which can typically be found under $1200 if you look hard enough.

Anyway, not sure what methods you've tried to recover the current head, but if it has indeed been sitting for 2 years I would probably just figure it's ruined and go for a new head. I would also guess that if it has been setting that long the ink lines, drain lines and maintenance station should all be replaced unless you have visually inspected them yourself and can verify they are not clogged.

Just my .02¢

garrettdelano

Where can I find this generic cheaper version of the DX5 head? How would I identify it is the correct version? Does your source have a place they prefer to go to?

Alright, so if I get this correctly, the water based head has the black ribbon cable connector on it while the solvent based head has the green connector. The water based is teflon coated, I'm not sure what the solvent based head is coated in.

I have cleaned all the lines on the printer from the cartridges to the heads and am rehabbing the maintenance station later tonight. A colleague has a cleaning machine he used to rehab the heads on his Roland SP540V so I cam going to give that a try this week. However, in case that doesn't work, I am trying to find where I can purchase a replacement. I would prefer to wait until after I get the head operational to replace the maintenance station so I can verify it is problematic before replacing.

Valentino

I would like to bump this too the top to see others experience with purchasing a printhead whether it be a waterbased or solvent based head.