• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ 1324 VS Roland VS540

Supergirl

Hi,

I'd appreciate a little help from people with experience. Sales people are so subjective to their brand.

I have 2 cutters, one of which is Graphtec FC7000, so I am open to "just printer" options.

i've been looking at the VJ 1324 and VS 540 both new.

What are your thoughts about going just printer and if yes, how does the quality and speed compare. I would not go for white/silver option on VS.

Thank you for your help!

t.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
I'll leave the reviews and comparisons to those less biased (since I obviously am), but you might also want to consider the Roland RE-640, since it is print only.

Supergirl

Good point!
Too bad i can't find any direct comparisons...

It's quite a big purchase either way and I"m trying to make sure i don't get into "wish i had asked...."

like,

i can't find any print cost on VJ 1324 and i see the 54 comes only with 220ml inks.

Thank you. I'll look more for some info.

on a side note,

it is no doubt convenient to have a print/cut in one, but given that i have the graphtec and most of my decals would need to be laminated, is it smart to look for just print, or will i be saying, man wish i had spent the extra money and gotten print/cut?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I am also bias but in the other direction. The ValueJet 1324 and 1624 both have optional Litter ink bags that reduce the cost on the inks. Your cost on a Mutoh 220ml goes from $0.32 per milliliter to $0.25 per milliliter. Best thing to do would be go see a demo on both printers. Bring your files and media if you have it and have both printers run in the same quality and speed settings. I would also suggest having the person running the demo let you actually run the printers so that you have a good idea of how each work both on the hardware and software side.

mopar691

Over a year ago I was looking for a upgrade and was at the same road deciding between a Mutoh or a Roland. I do not remember exactly what swung me but I went with the 1324 and have been very satisfied with this unit. Never a single problem other than 3 days after I set it up I dropped a new banner roll on the take up reel and had to remanufacture that whole thing (strictly my fault).

Supergirl

I am also bias but in the other direction. The ValueJet 1324 and 1624 both have optional Litter ink bags that reduce the cost on the inks. Your cost on a Mutoh 220ml goes from $0.32 per milliliter to $0.25 per milliliter. Best thing to do would be go see a demo on both printers. Bring your files and media if you have it and have both printers run in the same quality and speed settings. I would also suggest having the person running the demo let you actually run the printers so that you have a good idea of how each work both on the hardware and software side.

Good point too!

I've been looking for weeks/months now and each time i get close to a decision, something messes it up ;-)

Over a year ago I was looking for a upgrade and was at the same road deciding between a Mutoh or a Roland. I do not remember exactly what swung me but I went with the 1324 and have been very satisfied with this unit. Never a single problem other than 3 days after I set it up I dropped a new banner roll on the take up reel and had to remanufacture that whole thing (strictly my fault).

Thank you very much!!

Robert M

Mutoh vs Roland

Both printers are using an eight channel Epson print head so the image quality should be close as they also use similar inks.
The Mutoh will come with the auto take up where Roland charges an additional 2k to keep your prints off the floor.
Mimaki may be worth looking at also, same Epson style print heads, auto take up and they are dealing on the price.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Supergirl - Here's a link to something I wrote a couple of years ago on integrated print/cut vs. two machines. The models mentioned have been superseded, but the basic point remains.

There's a reason we sell both kinds of devices, and there's good arguments both ways depending on the exact nature of your business and your typical applications. A lot of it comes down to personal preference and workflow.

Supergirl

Both printers are using an eight channel Epson print head so the image quality should be close as they also use similar inks.
The Mutoh will come with the auto take up where Roland charges an additional 2k to keep your prints off the floor.
Mimaki may be worth looking at also, same Epson style print heads, auto take up and they are dealing on the price.

That is great information! Thank you. I was wondering about the print head.

Supergirl - Here's a link to something I wrote a couple of years ago on integrated print/cut vs. two machines. The models mentioned have been superseded, but the basic point remains.

There's a reason we sell both kinds of devices, and there's good arguments both ways depending on the exact nature of your business and your typical applications. A lot of it comes down to personal preference and workflow.

Excellent article, Andrew and it answers those questions for me.

I really really wanted the setup with white, but my work load is so little that i can't justify wasting the white ink, and never realized it's a set setup until yesterday. I thought one can change the ink configuration as needed. That's what made me look again at other options and brands.

Again, thank you very much!
Highly appreciated!

Supergirl

Here I am again :)

Just as i'm ready to pull the trigger, somebody mentioned Epson S30670

They also have a $2k rebate right now.

So, how does the S30670 compare to Mutoh?
I see that's it's solvent and not eco solvent, but i'm not seeing anything about the ventilation.

Pros and cons?

Please help :)

thank you!

S

spmracing

Mutoh all the way!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had my 1204 for 6 years, changed 3 print heads.. (Normaly wear) and other than that nothing but weekly maintenance!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Roland over 4 years, no print heads replaced (yet), cleans itself, comes with software, & I've been using 3rd party inks for 3 years now with NO ink related problems.
I can only tell you the number of times my buddy's Mutoh made him lose sleep. BUT that's only 2 peoples experiences.

tomence

Roland!!!

If i have to chose anything but Roland it would be Mimaki or HP.

Now about the Epson - I went to few open houses and every time Epson was having problems, they could not fix the banding this printer was producing. This happened at Advantage, Grimco x 2.