• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ-1604 Error Code

ElJay

When I try to print on 60" media the carriage makes it's first pass and gets about a third of the way through the second pass, makes a slight rumbling noise and quits. Drops this error code:[E074Err CR2 Current]. From my searches within this forum I've found that this is a common catch all code that pops up whenever the carriage motor is under undue load. I've tried a number of different things (cleaned timing fence throughly, tightened carriage belt, checked for bends/kinks in belt) and I'm fairly certiant that I've isolated the problem to the carriage motor area...At least it seems like that's where the noise is coming from. Maybe the belt's worn out, a bearing is going bad, motor's dying...I have a brand new drive belt that I thought I'd replace the old one with to see if that fixes it but I'd like to go through the official procedure for changing it rather than just blindly tearing into it. Does anyone have a service manual for a Mutoh VJ-1604? Anyone have a similar problem? Any help/advice would be much appreciated....

Last edited:

Gabriel

In my opinion(i don't know for sure), I think it's something with the position of the printing carriage. Initialize the limits (determine capping position).
Hope that helps.

ElJay

Happens consistenty with 60". I can load and print on 54" and it will only do it so often (like when I do a nozzle check). I just printed a bunch of stuff this morning on 54" vinyl with no issues. Loaded up some 60" this afternoon...no go.

randya

This sounds more like one of 3 things.

1. timing strip is either damaged or dirty.
2. one of the sensors - timing or paper sensor on the head.
3. inside wound media causing excess drag on the pf motor.

Call your dealer and have them walk you through maintenance mode tests for the sensors, cr motor travel, unless the problem is #3

If #3 then you should clean the pf motor encoder under the left end cover.

ElJay

Timing fence (encoder/timing strip/whatever) has been cleaned throughly. I hear a grinding noise when the carriage gets about a third of the way through the return pass during printing. Noise not heard when moving carriage by hand and I don't feel any undue resistance..I almost never use reverse wound media.

randya

doubtful.

Clean the pf encoder first, this historically gives the cr2 error, but not normally in the way you describe.

Get your dealer to walk you through the cr endurance test in maintenance mode, that should tell you if it is cr motor.
There is a pf endurance too you can check.

ElJay

doubtful.

Clean the pf encoder first, this historically gives the cr2 error, but not normally in the way you describe.

Get your dealer to walk you through the cr endurance test in maintenance mode, that should tell you if it is cr motor.
There is a pf endurance too you can check.

PF encoder has been cleaned multiple times. Bearing raceways are clean and greased properly. Is there any way I can get my hands on a maintainence manual and do these things on my own? My Mutoh tech is notoriously difficult to get ahold of.

randya

PF encoder has been cleaned multiple times. Bearing raceways are clean and greased properly. Is there any way I can get my hands on a maintainence manual and do these things on my own? My Mutoh tech is notoriously difficult to get ahold of.

Sorry, but we dont release service manuals for current products.

If you are having issues with your dealer or tech pm me with your contact info and I will have one of our inhouse techs get a hold of you.

Graphics2u

Could you have a problem with a rearing on the carriage? The noise you refer to has to be coming from somewhere.

ElJay

Could you have a problem with a rearing on the carriage? The noise you refer to has to be coming from somewhere.

I'm gonna guess you mean "bearing":smile: No, not as far as I can tell. It always happens when the carriage moves past the same spot...And like I said, I don't hear the noise when I move the carriage by hand.

Gabriel

If it's in the same spot, it's very possible to have a bad connection somewhere. Check out the flat cables that moves in the same time with the printing carriage.

PhatWall

try this one and this might help. In the picture the motor that is labeled #1 may be at a weird angle causing that belt to crawl. when this belt crawls it walks toward the encoder wheel and jams causing the E074 error. First off find out which way the belt is walking and compensate for the mistake by loosening up one of the screws labeled #2. behind the wall that separates the belt and that motor you need to put something thin like a razor blade between the wall and the motor and once in place you tighten up the screws. what you are actually doing is putting the motor in an angle causing the belt to run straight and preventing it from walking. On my machine i had to do this and I put it between the screw on the left and the motor. I am almost 100% positive that this is the problem that you are facing.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 299