• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ-1604 with 200g satine paper

Raxxis

Printing on 200g satine paper and any colour over 250% will not dry before an hour has passed. It's making things quite complicated. Anybody have any bright ideas how to make the ink dry faster? Or any preferrable settings on the PhotoPrint RIP?

randya

50,50, 50 for heater settings.

A lot depends on the coating for the paper and the environment of the printer.
High humidity means longer dry times

Raxxis

Don't think so, the settings are done for paper, but ICC profile is for a vinyl Kemica Digit100 matte.

Don't suppose anybody has done a VJ-1604 ICC profile for Satin paper 200g/m2, what seems to be an Emblem paper :D The seller has removed any traces of it's origin:S

randya

Should I use a thicker paper when printing with more than 250% tint?

Thicker paper is not the issue, the paper is coated with an eco-solvent suitable coating (or at least it should be).

It is the coating that has to dry

Which RIP and version are you using?

Raxxis

I'm using the SAi PhotoPrint SE 6.1v2 and the firmware on the printer says 1.05.

I was messing around here with the profiles and managed to get an almost ok result, still in serious need of a proper icc profile with proper presets.

For example I have no idea what is dither( options: SO diffusion, Error diffusion, Er. Dif. 2, FMX Press, LX Diffusion and Angled Screen)

Oh and most of the gradient stuff that comes out of the MUTOH looks like a kid is drawing them in the machine.

randya

I'm using the SAi PhotoPrint SE 6.1v2 and the firmware on the printer says 1.05.

I was messing around here with the profiles and managed to get an almost ok result, still in serious need of a proper icc profile with proper presets.

For example I have no idea what is dither( options: SO diffusion, Error diffusion, Er. Dif. 2, FMX Press, LX Diffusion and Angled Screen)

Oh and most of the gradient stuff that comes out of the MUTOH looks like a kid is drawing them in the machine.

You want to use what ever dithering the profile was written for.

Try this one: Mutoh DSUltra SemiGloss Paper VJ G2.ptf
From here:
ftp://ftp.mutoh.com/Printer Information_Manuals/VJ-1204/Profiles/SAi/1204-1604/

Anytime you change any of the parameters for the profile, you are effectively corrupting the profile.

You will get more predictable results from using a different profile rather than modifying one. ( I never modify a profile, myself)

Are you sure this is Outdoor coated paper for Eco-Solvent?

I have printed many time on Magic/Intellicoat papers with no problems.

Raxxis

Yeah I'm sure of the paper. I downloaded the profile and now the drying time is ok. But the gradient is still ugly, I think I need a proper profile to print flawless gradients.