• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ 1608 streaking in solid color areas

Ace_at_NCG

I've been running a new 1608 with the Mubio inks for a few months now. I get great results on banner material and photo paper, cloroplast, chipboard, pvc, etc. But... on Foamcore (coated) I get inconsistent coverage on solid color areas. I can't post a picture today, but I can bring a camera in tomorrow. The tech at Fuji, who sold us the machine, suggested it was the media, but I want to be sure of that.
I'm getting a venetian blind effect parallel to the inkhead travel direction, and also a similar effect of lighter color bands perpendicular to the inkhead travel. It's not horrible, but I feel like it should be better.
–The heads are clean and everything is firing.
–I get the problem to varying degrees regardless of whether I print at 720 or 1440. I am trying about to print a test to see if there is a difference between bidirectional and unidirectional.
–I have put a .4 second delay between passes to allow the damper a little more time to fill. It doesn't seem to matter, though visually this does look like an ink starvation issue. This is a large expanse of color--3 feet across a 4x8 sheet.
–I've also taken the air knife temperature down from 390 to 300, thinking that the ink was drying too quickly and not allowing itself to soak in evenly, but that seems to make no difference.
–I've also tried different profiles and changing the dither pattern from Fuzz2 to Fine and Fuzz 1, but that, also, seems to make no difference.

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,
Roger

randya

From our flatbed applications guy:

Check PF adjust.

Clean all 4 bearing races with lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol, lubricate them with a thin coat of silicon grease.

Use the “Foamboard 720MD, Graphics 2” Onyx profile.

Use 37 pre heater, 39 platen and 390F on the air knives.

Try a different manufacturer of similar media.

Charl

I have the same problem at the mo so I am very interested in hearing if anyone has a solution. I also have another few issues with the 1608... When printing black there appears to be a fine mist or offsprey but only on the black. The technicians have said it is due to static and humdity & temperature. I have made my print room to be the perfect temp and humidity. help anyone please...

Stealth Ryder

I agree Randy... I have repaired many of these machines, Head Height accuracy is most important and can cause a long list of problems if not correct...