• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mutoh VJ-426UF new print head setup

vova_28

Hi,

I have recently purchased used VJ-426UF that was not operational. I have purchased new print head and installed it. Now I can initialize the printer. But still need to do setup on the print head. Looks like I need MSA software to complete the print head setup. I would really appreciate if anyone can help.
Thank you so much for any help.

unmateria

Hi Vova, u just have to update parameters -> headrank (with the sticker in the printhead). Charge inks (check waste bottle filling) and then align the printhead on both axis, and do the bidir calibration. Dont need MSA at all up to i know for a 426. Just be extremely careful, is easy to make an expensive mess if u dont know what are u doing. There are many steps invoved, all important, and none of them is easy to guess. If you dont know anything about printheads, vacumm etc, i suggest you to call an experienced tech (there are some here)... It will be much cheaper 90% of times, no matter what he charges

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
What you need is the Mutoh Status Monitor. unmateria is correct about not needing the MSA to do it but on that model, you need the MSM software in order to get to the head alignments etc. since the machine doesn't have a panel/display. If you Google it, it should pop right up.

vova_28

Hi Vova, u just have to update parameters -> headrank (with the sticker in the printhead). Charge inks (check waste bottle filling) and then align the printhead on both axis, and do the bidir calibration. Dont need MSA at all up to i know for a 426. Just be extremely careful, is easy to make an expensive mess if u dont know what are u doing. There are many steps invoved, all important, and none of them is easy to guess. If you dont know anything about printheads, vacumm etc, i suggest you to call an experienced tech (there are some here)... It will be much cheaper 90% of times, no matter what he charges
Thanks Unmateria, that is very hopeful for me since I can't find the MSA software anywhere! I have experience with printers like Epson, HP and this is first time with mutoh. It is my hobby so can't really spend money on the tech. So will download the software as recommended. When I got this printer it had ink leaking everywhere. I cleaned it all up and repaired all leaks also drained all the ink from the tubes. Should I fill them with cleaning fluid before installing ink? I know epsons do not like bubbles in their systems and seeing it is using epson print head would seem to reasnable asume that the printer will not be good at charging ink with out prefilling and also prefilling dempeners?

Thank you so much for taking your time to anwser my questions.

Last edited:

vova_28

What you need is the Mutoh Status Monitor. unmateria is correct about not needing the MSA to do it but on that model, you need the MSM software in order to get to the head alignments etc. since the machine doesn't have a panel/display. If you Google it, it should pop right up.
Thanks Solventinkjet, I downloaded the software as Unmateria and you have recommended and will be trying to run it that way. Thank you so much for taking your time to awnser my questions.

Last edited:

vova_28

Ok, I have installed the ValueJet Status Monitor but where in it do I enter the print head S/N? Also where in it do I do alignment?

unmateria

Hi vova... First of all try to charge inks and see if it prints. That SN you say is only a strip of encoded values for finetuning voltages for that one printhead. After ink are properly charged (dampers charged and ink going to the bottle while cleaning) It should print.

vova_28

Hi vova... First of all try to charge inks and see if it prints. That SN you say is only a strip of encoded values for finetuning voltages for that one printhead. After ink are properly charged (dampers charged and ink going to the bottle while cleaning) It should print.
Thank you Unmateria, will try that.

vova_28

Before I fill the lines with ink question. Is it ok to use expired ink on these printers? I know on Epson photo printers the ink is good for many years past expiration. But for Mutoh I read that this ink forms crystals? I would be interested to hear from anyone that has used expired ink on Mutoh. Is there aftermarket ink for the 426uf?

unmateria

In all piezo printheads, ink quality is important. While there are some filters, the most important is in the printhead and cleaning it is a pain in the ***. I never had to use expired inks, but i had problems with cheap inks so i wouldnt bet jeje

netsol

Balance the price of the link against the price of the head.
all the solids in the ink come out of suspension & clump
clumps clog the head.
this is besides the chemical breakdown

just like food at the grocery store, it is NOT good today and magically bad tomorrow.
you have to use your judgement

i have written before, make a friend at hardware store or home depot
bring RECENTLY expired cartridges to home depot and pursuade your new friend in paint department ( i buy A LOT of paint) to ake a velcro strap and shake your cartridge on the paint shaker for 5 minutes

take home & wait a day for foaming to subside

this takes care of the clumping, i would think

shake (or rock) inks every few days

vova_28

I just realized that I have another problem. Since this printer was damaged print head and tubes where all disconnected and not labeled. I am not sure what color connects to what print head connection. Does anyone know what color correspond to what letter? Varnish and white have to lines...
1723005368214.png

vova_28

Ok since I got no response is probably I am the first one to have such a problem. Well after lots of ink wasted was able to get it on the 3rd try. This is for 6 color configuration, I was able to see in manuals for a 4 color configuration but could not find anywhere for 6 color. The connection are as bellow hope that will save some time for someone else.
1724128554090.png