• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ1204 ink to dampers

catldavis

I just picked-up a used 1204. There's no ink in the lines and I suspect none in the dampers. What is the most efficient way to get ink to the head? Would I take each damper out and use a syringe or is there a cleaning/charging utility in the menu that would be more simple and less chance of error?

Thanks for any help!

RG

Some will say that running cleaning cycles over and over will fill the ink lines & dampers. That has not worked for me. What worked for me, after changing dampers and having all the ink run back into the cartridges, is to run a "Little Charge." To do this, from "Ready to Print" press menu/press down arrow to cleaning/press right arrow/ press down arrow to "Little Charge." I don't think this uses much more ink than is needed to fill the ink lines, dampers, and print head. If it has been setting for a long time, make sure that the pump is not clogged. If the pump is OK, then for $20 or less you can buy a new cap top on ebay. These usually come with new tubes that go to the pump. If you think ink might have dried in the dampers, replacing them would be a good idea. I have used OEM dampers from ebay that cost about $2 each. Or you can buy them from Mutoh for $65 each. I don't think Mutoh will sell you just the cap top. They want to sell the whole maintenance station for $650. Be prepared for a lot of work to get most/all jets firing again. Good luck!

catldavis

Thank you all for your replies. I was able to get the ink to all of the dampers by cleaning and charging. However, neither of the yellow channels are firing. There's ink in the lines and the other colors are firing just fine. I don't have a repair manual, what are the proper procedures for troubleshooting it? I performed a search and didn't really find anything that was clear and concise. Just as a side note, I did see that the yellow cart only has 7% remaining (it's a 440ml), could that be the problem? Does the cart have to have a certain amount of ink for pressure?

RG

Good job so far. By all means, put in a new cartridge, or at least one that you are sure has plenty on ink in it. You should NEVER trust the printer's ink status capability. Most of the time, it will lie to you like a teenager. (Hope there are no teenagers lurking here). You can pull out the yellow cart, set it perfectly level, and see if the plastic tab on the bottom has popped out. If so, it is empty. I have had 440ml carts that would show 30% one minute and the next minute would be empty. You might want to get a good set of scales and weigh an empty cart. Then, trust your scales much more that you trust the printer's ink status.

printimage

I get in the the damper but when i do cleans i still not getting in the the cap top. I have in all new parts, what can i do to get ink in the head so i can do a nozzle test. I did a nozzle test but nothing came out.

RG

No ink flows through print head at all:
a. Make sure cartridge is not empty
b. Check cap for proper seal and vacuum
c. Prime head and ink line by pulling ink through pump with a syringe
d. Check head fuses on main board

I copied the above from a Mutoh Technical Information Bulletin. This is one of Mutoh's "Tips for Common and Not-so Common ValueJet Problems." Be sure that you plugged in both wires on the maintenance station and check the head fuse.

RG

I get in the the damper but when i do cleans i still not getting in the the cap top. I have in all new parts, what can i do to get ink in the head so i can do a nozzle test. I did a nozzle test but nothing came out.

This may also help. It it from the same service bulletin:

Missing nozzles/does not prime:
a. Check ink lines and dampers for presence of ink
b. Ensure there is ink in the cartridge
c. Manually draw ink through the head using a syringe on the input side of ink pump assembly
d. Moisten the rubber seal on the cap assembly with a sponge tip applicator and Ultra ink – that
will make the rubber softer and more pliable for a better seat against the head to reduce the
possibility of vacuum leaks
e. Press up on the bottom of the cap assembly with your little finger while doing a cleaning – will
minimize the possibility of a vacuum leak due to a poor or misaligned cap assembly

printimage

I took out the new maintenance station and put back in the old one that came with the machine when I bought it and it came through the head and out the waste lines. Wondering why the new station didn't work