• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ1304 not printing Magenta...

sdnj

Our Mutoh ValueJet 1304 is not printing Magenta. Seems to not be pulling from magenta cartridge. The tubes on the head are not solid with ink. My magenta cartridge seems to have some ink left in it still, I can hear it and it feels full enough and of course the read out says it is above 40%. My question (hopefully not too stupid sounding) is can I put a different color FULL cartridge in the Magenta slot to determine if it is clogged head?

MagnetStew

I wouldn't if I were you....:). The time and money (in flush and spent ink) it would take the flush out the other color would cost more then is necessary.

Sounds more like an air leak somewhere. These occur mostly with the dampers. Sometimes it's as simple as the o-ring between the damper and the head or the o-ring between the ink line and the damper.

sdnj

I wouldn't if I were you....:). The time and money (in flush and spent ink) it would take the flush out the other color would cost more then is necessary.

Sounds more like an air leak somewhere. These occur mostly with the dampers. Sometimes it's as simple as the o-ring between the damper and the head or the o-ring between the ink line and the damper.

Ok, then I will not do it.

Yes, I agree with the air leak possibly. I will investigate what you said, because that is where I feel the problem may be.... To YouTube I go.

sdnj

What is strange to me is why are both magenta tubes going into the head empty? Why would both dampers go bad at once? I guess because they are connected to one another meaning they are split from one main tube and if one has a leak, the other will be effected also?. Am I right? See picture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ink.jpg
    ink.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 760

sdnj

While doing a cleaning I noticed that there was flow only through one of the two drainage tubes. See pic. I have squirted some Mutoh cleaning solution on cap where head goes to rest on. Still no flow after another cleaning. Repeat process?

attachment.php

Attachments

• FLOW.jpg
    FLOW.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 760

MagnetStew

With that much ink residue on the maintenance station it looks like you may have a broken ink tube inside the pump. That would explain the ink not pulling through the lines. You can either replace the entire maintenance station or just the tubing which would require you to dissasemble the pump. That is up to you.

sdnj

With that much ink residue on the maintenance station it looks like you may have a broken ink tube inside the pump. That would explain the ink not pulling through the lines. You can either replace the entire maintenance station or just the tubing which would require you to dissasemble the pump. That is up to you.

I agree, or a thick clog. I did some disassembling and am directly injecting very low pressure air into the pump and cleaning solution and it still only flows through the one. I guess I need to take the pump off (two hard to get at screws) to further take apart the pump.

attachment.php

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 680

MagnetStew

Make sure you pull the maintenance station apart very carefully and take pics as you go so you have a better chance at getting it back together correctly. I have pulled them a part probably 30 times over and can do it in my sleep but the first couple of times I did it I made some mistakes that came back to bite me. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

RG

I have a 1204 Mutoh and have had the same problem before. The maintenance stations should be the same, or close. I'll tell you what fixed mine. I used a 10cc syringe and tried to push fluid through the 2 pump tubes and just like yours, I could push fluid through only one tube. The other one was plugged badly. So, I used another 10cc syringe, this one was empty and closed, hooked it to the plugged tube that exits the bottom of the pump. I pulled it open and used a short piece of wooden rod to hold the plunger open. Then I used a syringe full of cleaning fluid, hooked it to the top of the plugged tube, and pushed. This way you have force working on both sides of the dried ink that's in the tube. This worked for me. You can buy a new maintenance station on ebay for less than $300. Also, make sure that the air-tube that is connected to the bottom of the cap top is not plugged. My 1204 has been plugged here half a dozen times over the past 2 years. When this air-tube is plugged, the maintenance station will not work right. Good luck and welcome to the Ink-on-the-Fingers Club.

sdnj

I have a 1204 Mutoh and have had the same problem before. The maintenance stations should be the same, or close. I'll tell you what fixed mine. I used a 10cc syringe and tried to push fluid through the 2 pump tubes and just like yours, I could push fluid through only one tube. The other one was plugged badly. So, I used another 10cc syringe, this one was empty and closed, hooked it to the plugged tube that exits the bottom of the pump. I pulled it open and used a short piece of wooden rod to hold the plunger open. Then I used a syringe full of cleaning fluid, hooked it to the top of the plugged tube, and pushed. This way you have force working on both sides of the dried ink that's in the tube. This worked for me. You can buy a new maintenance station on ebay for less than $300. Also, make sure that the air-tube that is connected to the bottom of the cap top is not plugged. My 1204 has been plugged here half a dozen times over the past 2 years. When this air-tube is plugged, the maintenance station will not work right. Good luck and welcome to the Ink-on-the-Fingers Club.

OMG, you should see my hands! They will be ink stained for at least two days.

Looks like you had the exact problem as I do. I cleaned out the two tubes. Unfortunately I disassembled the pump and do not know if I am putting it back correctly. So I am thinking of just replacing it all. I am thinking about getting this one actually. http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/vj-1204-maintenance-station-assy.html

It is under $200, although I do not know if the source is trusted. Also, there are a number of them on AliBaba.

RG

You might need to re-think buying that from Digiprint. At that price it is probably for water-based printers. No where on the page does it say it's for eco-solvent ink. A new pump and a new cap top might fix your problem. Would cost even less if you can put new tubing in your pump. I just bought a meter of pump tubing on ebay for $1. And have bought cap tops there for less than $20. I wouldn't consider buying form another country unless they accept my credit card and/or paypal.

MagnetStew

I wouldn't buy a maintenance station from anyone other than a reputable Mutoh dealer. You will regret it in the long run. I bought about three of them and they didn't last nearly as long as the ones from Mutoh and I was constantly taking them apart and fixing things here and there.

stephane

Merchant Member
You might need to re-think buying that from Digiprint. At that price it is probably for water-based printers. No where on the page does it say it's for eco-solvent ink. A new pump and a new cap top might fix your problem. Would cost even less if you can put new tubing in your pump. I just bought a meter of pump tubing on ebay for $1. And have bought cap tops there for less than $20. I wouldn't consider buying form another country unless they accept my credit card and/or paypal.

I'm Stephane from DIGIPRINT SUPPLIES. our Valuejet maintenance stations are solvent resistant. this is not mentioned in the description as such as all Valuejet parts are solvent resistant. I hope this clarifies.

heyskull

I bought one of these exactly two years ago from digiprint.
Item was as good as the original (in fact the only difference is the wiper is a bit stiffer than the original, but easily replaced).
It is still working perfectly, but I do keep it spotless and once a week flood the cap with cleaning fluid to keep it clear (This is the secret to having less nozzle blocks).
I have ordered a new one today as I try to change these every 1-2 years as for the cost of this most important part is a lot more inexpensive than an original one.

SC

We, DIGIPRINT SUPPLIES, sell original maintenance stations and generic ones, both are solvent resistant. The product descriptions do not say the Valuejet maintenance stations are solvent resistant because Valuejet printers are solvent printers and all Valuejet parts are by nature solvent resistant. As far as buying from another country goes, we do have an office in the US and we ships dozens of orders to the US every day. We also accept payments by credit card and Paypal. I hope this helps.