• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ1604 with DX5 head

bsm

I know this has been covered extensively in previous threads but I could not find a definitive answer. Can I use the Epson DX5 solvent head and manifold adaptor to replace my genuine Mutoh head ? Do I need to use new DX5 data cables and do I need to enter new head ranking numbers. Would be especially interested hearing from anyone that has done this before. Thanks for any info provided.

Geshkin

Actually, DX5 printhead has a few modifications. We don't look to original in this moment.
Most of all types of Epson DX5 are coded. And impossible to print more than approx 90 cm width. You have to install addition chineese decoder for use this printhead.
But some printhead can be used without decoder. You can recognise printhead by connector - some marks on board between connectors.
All this printhead have another manifold - you have to cut original printhead frame like on picture in attachment.
You can use old cable if it OK. But will be better to replace it for new one.
All HeadRank on these printhead other type. So, you can't use this to load on printer. But you can use old Head Rank. Printhead will work so good.
You can check also HeadRank from other original printheads for got best result.
I am installed these printheads many times. All works perfectly.
Geshkin

Attachments

• Frame_DX5.jpg
    Frame_DX5.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 187

bsm

Thanks Geshkin but I am pretty confused now. It currently has the OEM Mutoh head so you are saying to leave the headranking as it is if I use a DX5 head?

Geshkin

Head Rank containd some information for perfect working each printhead (voltages, mode for piezo, etc...) and use for fine tuning printing mode. This info collected while printhead produced and unique for each. These parameters can be coded by various format. So, Epson DX5 and Mutoh OEM rank foramat are different and you can't load Epson rank to Mutoh printer because printer will not accepted this. But printhead will work with any HeadRank. It can be not exactly same mode as recommend, but most cases you will not see difference for your eyes.
Attached Epson DX5 Head Rank. You can compare with OEM for sumbol quantity.

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 215

catldavis

The only part that doesn't sound correct is cutting the manifold. In certain instances, cutting the manifold is not necessary.

bsm

yeah it doesnt. I was hoping for a straightforward, just do this kind of thing but it sounds like its all a bit hit or miss

Geshkin

Sorry guys. Of coarse, the best way is use Original printhead from Mutoh. No any problem and all work perfectly.
But you asked about possibility of use DX5 from Epson on Mutoh printher. I am explained, yes, it possible. And price for Epson printhead two times cheaper.
On picture you can see Mutoh printhead (with green connector) and Epson. Thickness of front part of head cover are different. So, you can install original manifold without cutting. But with strong tension. And you can damage printhead or something else.
Anyway, finally choice is sub to you.

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 218

brightbanner

i like vivid color
Sorry guys. Of coarse, the best way is use Original printhead from Mutoh. No any problem and all work perfectly.
But you asked about possibility of use DX5 from Epson on Mutoh printher. I am explained, yes, it possible. And price for Epson printhead two times cheaper.
On picture you can see Mutoh printhead (with green connector) and Epson. Thickness of front part of head cover are different. So, you can install original manifold without cutting. But with strong tension. And you can damage printhead or something else.
Anyway, finally choice is sub to you.

You are professional Geshkin.
The manifold of Epson DX5 solvent head and manifold of original Mutoh head are different.
When users want fit DX5 solvent head on Mutoh VJ1604, have to cut the manifold or change a Mutoh manifold.

Brent

brightbanner

i like vivid color
The only part that doesn't sound correct is cutting the manifold. In certain instances, cutting the manifold is not necessary.

Hi Davis,

I think you will know the different of Epson DX5 head manifold and Mutoh VJ head manifold.
Because I know you had received two Mutoh manifolds from my supplier.

Brent