• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ1614 problem

dakeith15

Aright, so we have a mutoh VJ-1614 that we've had for several years now. We have stopped using it as much as we used to since we travel a lot now. We kept it plugged in and had the auto clean feature setup to do a head clean to keep it from clogging. The problem is while we were out of town, the girl who cleans unplugged it to move it and forgot to plug it back in. Since then it has sat for about 5 months without being used. The my employers finally got around to buying some things I needed to get it fixed. Of course the head was clogged so I pulled the head and cleaned it. I Finally got it unclogged after about 8 hours of trying to suck cleaning solution through and trying to get it to spray from the head. I've replaced all the dampers and i've even used a syringe to suck ink through the lines so I don't think they are clogged. So When I put everything back together, no ink is getting pushed through the lines. I've run several cleanings and tried a ink charge all with no luck. There are no errors on the screen except pump life times. I read here on the forums that the pumps life message won't actually make it stop functioning.

So, I'm stuck scratching my head and I don't know what else to try. Any ideas on what would be causing the ink to not be pushed through the lines? (btw, I did leave it with cleaner in the head until i can figure out what the problem is.)

guitarguy69

Do you see ink running through the two little drain lines that come off of your maintenance station while running a cleaning or a charge? Sounds like the maintenance station is clogged and or malfunctioning. Try running cleaning solution through the capping area and see if it runs through the two lines. You may have to remove the metal plate that blocks you from seeing this, but it will be worth it in the long run to monitor the pumping.

If you see no results dissconnect the two little lines from the waste end and move the print head to the side, then use a seringe connected to the lines to try and push and pull cleaning solution to loosen things up.

Agree with Guitarguy... Pulling on the lines coming off the Cap or off the pump is the best way to prime the Head. If memory serves me there will be two lines so you'll either need to put some kind of y-connector on the end of the syringe or easier, just block off one of the lines and hook the syringe to the other. If you end up just sucking air then you probably have a bad Cap or the Head is not seating on it properly. Sounds like all is OK from the Dampers on up.

dakeith15

No, there is no ink running through the lines to the maintenance tank. I'll try doing what y'all suggested and post my results.

guitarguy69

I preffer to do the seringe without the head being in the capping station first, so I may use a binge purge method to make sure that fluids can flow through and also to break up any caked ink. Then I will partially fill the capping area with fresh solution and park the head there in low, and gently pull with the seringe. Gently being the key word, don't want to ruin the head. Listen for a slurping sound, like an empty coke with a straw, that indicates a bad seal. If you feel resistance then all is good, pull gently and you will hear the solinoids open in back at the sub tank which allows ink to flow, and you're in business.

Good luck my friend.
Brian