• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ1624 [KCMY] S/C Read Error

laserman70

Was in the middle of a print and read broken chip error. Then when done printing it now reads
Mutoh VJ1624 [KCMY] S/C Read Error. OEM Cartridges ..
Have read some of the threads, turn off printer then install cartridges after you turn it on. Anyone give me some help please?

Last edited:

Joe House

Is this Mutoh ink or a third party ink? Mutoh has the toughest system for preventing smart card duplication. If the above trick doesn't do it, you probably have a burnt smart card. If it's Mutoh ink (or not, I guess) get with your ink supplier. If it happens frequently, you may need to get a new card reader.

Good luck.

laserman70

Is this Mutoh ink or a third party ink? Mutoh has the toughest system for preventing smart card duplication. If the above trick doesn't do it, you probably have a burnt smart card. If it's Mutoh ink (or not, I guess) get with your ink supplier. If it happens frequently, you may need to get a new card reader.

Good luck.

It is OEM ink

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah Mutoh cards can go bad sometimes and just need to be replaced. Contact the person you buy the ink from and they can put in a request to Mutoh to have new cards sent out. If the new cards fail, you probably have a bad heater junction board. It sounds unrelated but heater junction board is what actually reads the chips.

laserman70

Yeah Mutoh cards can go bad sometimes and just need to be replaced. Contact the person you buy the ink from and they can put in a request to Mutoh to have new cards sent out. If the new cards fail, you probably have a bad heater junction board. It sounds unrelated but heater junction board is what actually reads the chips.

Called them, sending out new card. Thank you for the help

heyskull

Your problem could be bent pins on the card reader.
This is a notorious problem on a machine using cartridges with the card bonded to the side.
If the new ink cartridge goes in slightly squint or the card isn't in the perfect place the edge of the card catches the pins and bends them back causing shorts and bad contact.
It is a relatively simple job to replace them and they are not expensive.
I have replaced these on our machine 3 times now and I am now running bulk inks with cards to the side which means they very rarely need removed.

SC