Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mutoh VJ1624 [KCMY] S/C Read Error

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by laserman70, Mar 8, 2018.

1. laserman70

laserman70 Very Active Member

Dec 25, 2007
    usa
    Was in the middle of a print and read broken chip error. Then when done printing it now reads
    Mutoh VJ1624 [KCMY] S/C Read Error. OEM Cartridges ..
    Have read some of the threads, turn off printer then install cartridges after you turn it on. Anyone give me some help please?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Is this Mutoh ink or a third party ink? Mutoh has the toughest system for preventing smart card duplication. If the above trick doesn't do it, you probably have a burnt smart card. If it's Mutoh ink (or not, I guess) get with your ink supplier. If it happens frequently, you may need to get a new card reader.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. laserman70

Dec 25, 2007
    usa
    It is OEM ink

4. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Yeah Mutoh cards can go bad sometimes and just need to be replaced. Contact the person you buy the ink from and they can put in a request to Mutoh to have new cards sent out. If the new cards fail, you probably have a bad heater junction board. It sounds unrelated but heater junction board is what actually reads the chips.

5. laserman70

Dec 25, 2007
    usa
    Called them, sending out new card. Thank you for the help

6. heyskull

heyskull Very Active Member

Sep 2, 2007
    UK
    Your problem could be bent pins on the card reader.
    This is a notorious problem on a machine using cartridges with the card bonded to the side.
    If the new ink cartridge goes in slightly squint or the card isn't in the perfect place the edge of the card catches the pins and bends them back causing shorts and bad contact.
    It is a relatively simple job to replace them and they are not expensive.
    I have replaced these on our machine 3 times now and I am now running bulk inks with cards to the side which means they very rarely need removed.

SC