• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MX Helmet wrap

graphixstation

Hi all,

Have been asked to design and wrap a motox helmet for a friends son and i said i would give it a blast. Can anyone help on how to design it (is there a template or something i can use) and the best way to wrap it. I have only started doing wraps and this i have not attemped yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Nicholas

Flame

DO NOT.... DO IT. I have wrapped a MX helmet, and I have several years of vehicle wrapping under my belt, and it was a PITA and it's almost impossible to do with no imperfections. I am confident with my wrapping abilities and I do not offer helmet wraps as I simply do not believe I can deliver a product worthy enough to charge for.

I know several other companies with similiar sentiments. It is simply not worth it...

WrapperX

Its like taking a sheet of paper and fitting it around a ball. It's not gonna happen in one peice.
I suggest doing it with individual graphics. Map out the helmet into sections and create your own template from those mapped/measured out areas. then set up your design to work with the sections. Continuing themes across sections can be a cool affect if planned out thoroughly. Then print and cut out each individual panel/section and apply accordingly.
If you attempt to do it as a single sheet wrap you will have nothing but head aches and a sloppy final product.

jay*doc

"wrap" the helmet in transfer tape first, for example, starting at the mouth, around the side, back, other side and back to the mouth. It won't look pretty, just do it the best you can. with a sharpie, draw the shape of the helmet on the tape. Draw a line around the bottom, the face opening, mark out any obstructions, and mark an area around the top, you will most definitely want to make a "skull cap" piece separately. Take it off and apply it to a flat wall, take a photo and some measurements, retrace it in photoshop for your template.

If you are going to attempt it, go for the 3 piece approach, first the lower 3/4 of the helmet, the whole way around, then the skull cap piece and then a piece to cover the seam at the front.

In the design, use elements that you can easily trace with the knife, because you will get the vinyl to a point when cutting it makes more sense then fighting with it. Just make sure you hide the cuts in the graphics. SEAL ALL THE CUTS AND EDGES with either a piece if laminate cut in a 1/4" strip, or 8914ES from 3M IMMEDIATELY. In case you didn't get that the first time, SEAL ALL THE CUTS AND EDGES with either a piece if laminate cut in a 1/4" strip, or 8914ES from 3M IMMEDIATELY. Your vinyl will shrink back at the cuts due to the stretch you are putting in it.

Speaking of vinyl, use a cast on cast wrap film, and do it dry, in case it had to be said.

Good Luck.

Mosh

Good luck. We do "partcial" helmet wraps. Too much work to get the whole thing to lay right. Not saying it can't be done, but in the same amount of time I could make $1000 wraping something I am good at.

Flame

Good luck. We do "partcial" helmet wraps. Too much work to get the whole thing to lay right. Not saying it can't be done, but in the same amount of time I could make $1000 wraping something I am good at.

Smartest thing I ever heard Mosh say. :wine-smi: