• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

my apostrophes are wrong?

jeffkics

Sign Says
Any idea why my apostrophes and quotes on my fonts are wrong? Happening on all those green identified fonts in the that are installed, not just claredon, but also bodini, news etc... (if i bring the font up file in windows font folder the examples look correct too there)

See pictures.
Its a windows issue because it is happening in Word, CorelDraw, Illustrator, etc.... Any idea how to fix it? Can't seem to find anything on google on this issue.

TYIA!
View attachment font prob.jpg

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, what exactly is wrong ?? The fact that some are somewhat straight and others are a circle with a dingaling hanging down ??

jochwat

Graphics Department
The curly-que ones are grammatical apostrophes. The straight ones are measurement marks. Perhaps the wrong one was typed in? They're two different glyphs in a font. Look in the Illustrator "Glyphs" window and you should see both types in there.

Stacey K

I like making signs
All fonts have different quote marks. Some are curly some are straight. On the font Chicago the quote marks only go one way so I have to create outlines and reverse the right side.
1699630920161.png

jeffkics

Sign Says
The curly-que ones are grammatical apostrophes. The straight ones are measurement marks. Perhaps the wrong one was typed in? They're two different glyphs in a font. Look in the Illustrator "Glyphs" window and you should see both types in there.
So how do you type in the straight ones? I use the ' key next to the enter key on a keyboard. how do you get it to use the straight ones instead of the curled?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
while your cursor is in the type area choose the symbol from the glyphs window and double click the character you want to add. Some fonts have hundreds of extra symbols and ligatures

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.46.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.46.31 AM.png
    480 KB · Views: 74

Stacey K

I like making signs
If the font doesn't have the kind you need/like then use another font for just the quotes. I often use a non-serif font for them vs. those big curvy ones - depending on the font.

jeffkics

Sign Says
OK
Open up the glyphs window in Illustrator. It will show you all the special characters built into a font
This is not working, the apostrophe should be a straight line by default in claredon, news, bodini, etc. it is coming out as a curled one as seen in the picture. I opened the glyphs dialog box, and it shows the correct apostrophe there, and when I drag it in it comes in as a curled one.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
the straight line version does not come out by default when I use Illustrator CC. In order to add the character i don't drag. I double click on it within the glyph box. If this issue for you is a sudden change from what you are used to then maybe the app or computer needs restarted. I believe otherwise this is a default way of displaying apostrophes and quotations. Straight lines do not show up by default as they are for indicating distances such as inches and feet

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.56.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.56.34 AM.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 69

jeffkics

Sign Says
the straight line version does not come out by default when I use Illustrator CC. In order to add the character i don't drag. I double click on it within the glyph box. If this issue for you is a sudden change from what you are used to then maybe the app or computer needs restarted. I believe otherwise this is a default way of displaying apostrophes and quotations. Straight lines do not show up by default as they are for indicating distances such as inches and feet
I do double click it and it still comes out curved, here is a picture in coreldraw as well (right side is the glyph choice,
already rebooted, and its happening in word, corel, ai, etc..

Attachments

• corelap.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Straight up and down apostrophes and quotes are what some call "dumb quotes." The apostrophes and quotation marks that curl to the left or right are typographically superior in appearance. Applications such as CorelDRAW usually have those kinds of marks override the dumb quote marks by default. In the case of CorelDRAW that can be changed by going into CorelDRAW Options>Text>Quick Correct. In Adobe Illustrator the options can be changed by going to the Type menu and opening the Smart Punctuation dialog box.

jeffkics

Sign Says
Straight up and down apostrophes and quotes are what some call "dumb quotes." The apostrophes and quotation marks that curl to the left or right are typographically superior in appearance. Applications such as CorelDRAW usually have those kinds of marks override the dumb quote marks by default. In the case of CorelDRAW that can be changed by going into CorelDRAW Options>Text>Quick Correct. In Adobe Illustrator the options can be changed by going to the Type menu and opening the Smart Punctuation dialog box.
THANK YOU! Thats it! You guys are great

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
All fonts have different quote marks. Some are curly some are straight. On the font Chicago the quote marks only go one way so I have to create outlines and reverse the right side.
View attachment 168249
Any idea why my apostrophes and quotes on my fonts are wrong? Happening on all those green identified fonts in the that are installed, not just claredon, but also bodini, news etc... (if i bring the font up file in windows font folder the examples look correct too there)

See pictures.
Its a windows issue because it is happening in Word, CorelDraw, Illustrator, etc.... Any idea how to fix it? Can't seem to find anything on google on this issue.

TYIA!
View attachment 168246
Most modern fonts have glyphs for both typographic quote marks and straight quotation marks. If the font in question has OpenType features, check if there is a Stylistic Alternate for the straight quotes and, if that isn't available, you can use the character map built into Windows to find and change the glyphs as needed.