• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Custom Fuses for Roland Printers SP300v - Sp540v. How-to parts list.

Turbophein

After blowing my fuses on my Sp300, i was determined to have it back up and running asap without ordering new fuses. so after a quick plan i headed to the parts store.

Parts needed:

(4) speaker connector terminals. the heat shrink outside would be ideal.

3 ft of small gauge wire.

(2) Bussman panel fuse holders i got mine at west marine. (don't buy radio shack brand) http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...oreNum=50523&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50556#

package of 2A glass fuses

step bit and drill

soldering materials

phillips head to open the printer shell.

How to:

Open up back access panel

take your step bit and drill 2 holes in any location you prefer, this is the spot i found to work best and is easily accessible

20131009_163434_zpsbee0a251.jpg

mount the fuse holders

cut (4) pieces of appropriate length wire and solder/crimp a speaker terminal to one end of each wire.

assuming you know where the fuses are, clean them with q-tip and alcohol, start soldering the other ends of each wire onto the ends of the existing blown fuses metal tabs(the fuse can be removed but makes it harder)

then connect the terminals to the back of the fuse holders. almost done!

20131009_163322_zps403e8405.jpg

make sure to clean around the soldering area with a q-tip and alcohol before and especially after soldering to remove any flux residue if used.

install back panel

install fuses

20131009_163452_zps9ea16993.jpg

20131009_170450_zps29427000.jpg

power up and do a test print!

Last edited by a moderator:

rjssigns

I'm curious as to fuse duty. Fast blow, slow blow? I remember there being different types from my car audio days. I also remember that fuses wear out. If certain frequencies were missing in output we could replace the speaker fuses to solve the problem.

Turbophein

I'm curious as to fuse duty. Fast blow, slow blow? I remember there being different types from my car audio days. I also remember that fuses wear out. If certain frequencies were missing in output we could replace the speaker fuses to solve the problem.

i honestly have no idea, i can't imagine it being a problem in this case, either way. i actually did this mod 2-1/2 years ago on my first machine, not as pretty, i just used inline fuse holders, i would have to remove the back cover to replace the fuses. i have never had an issue since installing them, but they did keep blowing until we sourced the original problem (bad print head cable), which means they are doing there job. the printer runs 6-10 hours a day 6 days a week right now. i used the same fuses, just added a panel mount fuse holder this time for a clean install and ease of replacement.

JTRTech

Nice idea, just blown a fuse realigning a new printhead - knocked one of the head ribbon cables (MUPPET LOL) - just ordered the parts exept 1.6a fast blow, rather replace a fuse than a printhead :)

phototec

After blowing my fuses on my Sp300, i was determined to have it back up and running asap without ordering new fuses. so after a quick plan i headed to the parts store.

Parts needed:

(4) speaker connector terminals. the heat shrink outside would be ideal.

3 ft of small gauge wire.

(2) Bussman panel fuse holders i got mine at west marine. (don't buy radio shack brand) http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...oreNum=50523&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50556#

package of 2A glass fuses

step bit and drill

soldering materials

phillips head to open the printer shell.

How to:

Open up back access panel

take your step bit and drill 2 holes in any location you prefer, this is the spot i found to work best and is easily accessible

attachment.php

mount the fuse holders

cut (4) pieces of appropriate length wire and solder/crimp a speaker terminal to one end of each wire.

assuming you know where the fuses are, clean them with q-tip and alcohol, start soldering the other ends of each wire onto the ends of the existing blown fuses metal tabs(the fuse can be removed but makes it harder)

then connect the terminals to the back of the fuse holders. almost done!

attachment.php

make sure to clean around the soldering area with a q-tip and alcohol before and especially after soldering to remove any flux residue if used.

install back panel

install fuses

attachment.php

attachment.php

power up and do a test print!

You would think if ROLAND really cared about it's customers, they would install these type of fuse holders on the outside of their printers so if you had an emergency and needed to get a job printed and the fuse blew, you could change out the fuse yourself. Oh wait they would not be able to sell you a whole new circuit board and a service call just for one bad fuse.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
They are probably thinking along the lines of protecting end users from themselves.
If the fuse were easy to change and kept blowing, instead of finding the fault the customer might keep upping the amperage until something really expensive fried.

HjqfZZh.jpg

wayne k
guam usa